letting kids play other sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 2, 2015
Wow, this thread went from interesting topic, to....something! lol.
I think it's important for kids (girls especially) to play mulitple sports. So many things out there that they're not typically introduced to. They'll never know what they'll fall in love with. Also help against over-use injury, muscle development, interchangeable skills, etc.
My DD is 8. Spring = soccer, gymnastics, and softball. Fall equals soccer, gymnastics, and cheerleading. Winter = gymnastics, skiing, and she says she wants to play basketball this year.
At some point, probably next year, something is going to have to give and she'll have to drop 1 based on the fact that there's just not enough hours or days to do it all. I'll let her do them as long as she can though, because she loves them all!

Jun 24, 2013
Jacksonville
my daughter is an 06, she has played softball since she was 7, travel ball since 8. We work hard and she plays hard and she brings home the rings. She also plays basketball, its the sport i get to be a dad in the stands and she get to be just one of the girls that put the ball down after practice.

Sadly while I make it a point, not to coach her and do nothing but tell her good job in BB, she's a heck of a Point Guard and she practices on her own time when she can. The lessons of hard work and pushing yourself to your limits, we teach in softball transfers to other sports and school work.

I will never make her choose, I enjoy watching her in BB more than softball since I can just be a dad and not a nervous wreck lol!

May 15, 2016
I think it's important for kids (girls especially) to play mulitple sports.

Absolutely agree.

My twin DDs 13y/o have been on a swim, as their second sport, for the past two years. I think having a second sport is essential if a teen wants to go as far as possible with their preferred sport. Now that they have moved up to the senior division they have to swim 100 yard races and not the 50 yard races they are familiar with. They are complaining that those races are too long and they are doubting they will even make the team. I told them if they do not tryout for the team, and make a serious effort, then I will not be paying for any more batting or pitching lessons.

That convinced them, they are now practicing for their tryouts, which are at the end of the month.

Their swim coach told me he has no doubt they will make the team, they came in first, second, occasionally third, in their respective strokes in most of their races last season.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Sometimes the second or third or fourth or fifth sport is the "right" one.

In the 2012 Olympics, there were at least 4 former University of Wisconsin athletes who competed in the Olympics in sports they started while in college or even later.

Two of them were identical twin brothers, both 6'7". They were on the National Rifle Team in HS, but in college the rowing coach convinced them to row. With those brothers, Wisconsin won the college championship in the 8 man boat their senior year, and they went on to compete in the Olympics in 2012.

There was also a young lady that year who took up rowing in college, and rowed in the Olympics.

Another young lady was on both her HS swim and track teams. She had been on the Wisconsin swim team, but left it for the track team (couldn't do both in college). She knew how to ride a bike, and rode competitively after college. After college she became a triathlete, and competed in the 2012 Olympics as a triathlete.

My kids knew a couple of different kids who got D-I scholarships in sports they started while sophomores in HS. Both of these kids graduated the same year, and are both seniors in college now.

One was a boy who had blazing speed in track, and was also a great basketball player. While in HS he was on a team that won the state basketball championship, and he also won gold medals at the state track meet. During the summer between his freshman and sophomore year, the HS wide receivers coach saw that kid play basketball. The kid played basketball like a wide receiver, whatever that means. The coach talked to the kid after the game, and convinced him to try out for football as a wide receiver. He got a football scholarship from Pitt.

One girl was on the same HS rowing club as my DS. Both she and my DS decided to try rowing for cross training, except this young lady was a lot better. This young lady would spend half the year rowing, and the other half playing softball. She was about 6' tall, btw. She was All-Conference 1B, but she was one of the top female HS rowers in the country. She got a rowing scholarship from Wisconsin.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
Hello DFP World! Long time lurker, first time poster, here...just thought I would add my thoughts to the subject.

I've been a HS coach for 18 years, first in the mid-west and now in the north-east. Over the years I've been fortunate to have some great kids who have had the great fortune to play collegiality, at all levels, NAIA, JUCO, up to DI. I won't say every, but the majority of coaches who have recruited my girls have asked three questions first, almost in the exact order...

1. How are her grades?
2. What is her family situation like? (The nice way of asking...How crazy are her parents)
3. What else does she do, besides softball?

Softball questions usually followed after these. The majority of girls who play multiple sports have often been my better softball players, not always of course, but a lot of the time. They're more athletic, better aware of their body movements, are less likely to sustain overuse injuries...the list goes on. Of all my girls who have went on to play college softball, only one did not play at least two sports. And that one was because of injury...after her jr year, she was the two-time basketball player of the year, in our conference. An award she never won in SB, though she was 1st team all conf, and All-State, multiple years.

All that to say...encourage kids to play other sports. The studies prove you don't have to specialize at a young age to be successful, and support those that do are more likely to sustain injury. IMO, if a coach requires an athlete to specialize at a young age, he/she is only looking out for their interest, not the best interest of the athlete, which is what this is supposed to be about, right? If your ego/identity is so wrapped up in a 14 year old playing for you, and no one else...I honestly don't know how to talk to you. We have a completely different view of life.

Now if an athlete genuinely has zero interest in another sport, and is old enough to go through the process of making that decision on her own...that's a conversation between them and their parents. I would still suggest a lengthy off season, for recovery.

Apologies for the lengthy post...IMO, this all comes back to the issues in recruiting. Softball recruiting is broken, and I know a few SEC coaches who agree. That is a whole other soapbox, and I don't want to hi-jack the thread. I appreciate the discussion on the site!

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I went to an SEC coaches camp and one of the AC said that she highly recommends that girls play other sports and not to specialize. But this creates a problem, especially for me. I do think "kids" should play around with other sports or dance or cheer. But at a certain age, (14?) you should know what your dominate sport is or could be. I really have a hard time trying to figure out , which sport has more priority. We have a travel tourney this weekend, and I get a call saying that a child has a team fundraiser on Saturday for a middle school sport. really? middle school? is the thought in my head. Softball can carry this girl to college if she worked on a few things, and mentally prepared herself to be a great player. I don't think a middle school team, for anything should come before travel, not even softball middle school team. Thoughts?? am i totally off here?

Just out of curiosity, what do you promise these young ladies when they fail at softball? You seem to want to limit what you will allow them to do. I have been the HC in 4 HS teams. I encourage my players to play as many sports as possible, be in the school play, do band, sing, ... Believe it or not, I've won a few games with this approach.

Feb 27, 2017
Just out of curiosity, what do you promise these young ladies when they fail at softball? You seem to want to limit what you will allow them to do. I have been the HC in 4 HS teams. I encourage my players to play as many sports as possible, be in the school play, do band, sing, ... Believe it or not, I've won a few games with this approach.
nothing is ever promised to any girl. You have to work to be successful. Even if its flipping burgers. BUT you have to have a priority. To play or not to play, dance or cheer. and my question to you, if girls missed a game or two for band or a " play", would you be ok with that? I wouldn't be OK with it. And college coaches aren't OK with it either. I can see a college girl telling her coach, "Coach, I can't go with the team to LSU this weekend, I'm in the drama play on Saturday!" And also right now, I have both my pitchers out because of other sports, basketball (knee) and Cheer (ankle). If we were playing right now, I would have to rely on a underclassman middle school kid.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Miss a game? Well no I would not be ok with it and the consequences would be those I laid out at the beginning of the season. Still, I do encourage my players to play multiple sports and when those sports are in season, my stuff comes second. I had a child do multiple things and she went on to do ok in college. She played golf and softball for me. She played in a good area TB program.

You equate yourself to being a college coach. You are not. They are not in college. By the time that they are, they have made choices along the way. Some, like my dd, were able to do it all and get top academic honors. IMO, my dd benefited greatly from participating in sports where she was not the star. BTW, I've talked to more than a few college coaches along the way myself and are friends with many from the SEC to ... I've found out that many look for that athlete that can demonstrate the discipline to excel at multiple sports/activities. Of course your mileage can vary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414