Lesson learned: why it's important to use video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I'm never shy about pointing out problems with things other fastpitch softball coaches do or say. So it's probably about time I told a story on myself which illustrates a great point: no matter how good you think you are, it never hurts to shoot a little video to check on what you're saying.

Last year I was working with a girl named Megan in a lesson. She had a good swing overall, but when she finished I could see that she hadn't gotten off her back side enough. At least that's what I thought I saw. Instead of having her toe down, heel up and an L in her back leg, her heel was pointed backwards and her back leg was pretty much straight.

She wasn't feeling the lack of drive, so I pulled out my trusty Kodak Playsport video camera and shot a swing off a tee at 60 frames per second (fps for those who don't know video shorthand). I figured if I could show her what she was doing wrong she'd be able to correct it.

By now you've probably guessed what happened. I stepped through the video frame-by-frame, and everything looked good. When she got to contact her hips had come through, she was up on her toe, and her back leg was in a lovely "L." Continuing through she held that position until after extension, then sort of settled back into what I'd seen to catch her balance.

"Hmmm," I said. "I guess I suck. Remember everything I told you about finishing? Forget it. You're doing fine."

Since that time I've learned a valuable lesson about the importance of shooting video whenever possible. Most of the time I'm right, and can use it to illustrate the point. After all these years I've gotten pretty good at diagnosing skills in real time.

But every now and then it shows me that what I think I see, and what is actually happening are two different things.

Footnote: Little pocket videos such as the Kodak Playsport are pretty cheap, and make a good investment. Yes, you can also shoot video on your iPhone, iPad or Android device, and even telestrate it, but usually there are a couple more steps before you can use it. That's why I like the dedicated video camera. You can shoot it and show the video right away, saving time that can be applied into working on the skills.

So how about you? Ever have an experience where you've believed one thing but video told you something else? Go ahead and share -- you're among friends.

More...

Jun 26, 2012
For anyone wanting to take video with iPhone u need to get app called coaches eye. It takes video that can instantly be played back @ normal speed slow motion & can also be played fram by frame

Jan 25, 2011
on the ipad and ipod touch,my dd and I use the swing reader.We have the app on both because sometimes it is easier to use the smaller ipod.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz