Learning to throw then hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 17, 2010
Chicagoland
I everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have enjoyed reading the discussions and the amount knowledge, experience, etc.

I'm just a dad trying to help my 13 year old daughter improve her swing as she was striking out quite a bit last year.. I helped coach her over rec league teams over the years, but admittedly I know almost nothing about hitting. I want to get her foundation set so she can be encouraged by success at the plate this year before she starts high school in the fall.

I've read with interest Hitter's comments on other threads about girls learning to throw correctly in order to get a better feeling for hitting. Are there any specific resources to understand and teach the proper throwing mechanics for girls and relationship to hitting? From what I've discerned, part of it is the weight transfer/hip rotation aspects.

Last year, she had one of the strongest arms on her 14u rec league team so much so that the head coach would sometimes put her at 3rd base, even though she's left handed. I just want to check if she's been taught correctly or if there are improvements to increase speed and protect against injury.

Then I can start working on her hitting. I video taped some dry swings and discovered she has many of the maladies mentioned by others that young players have: SERIOUS bat drag, dropping of hands, separation, etc.

Again, thanks for all of the information.

-Geekydad

Feb 14, 2010
Just keep listening and trying drills that Tewks, Hitter and Wellphyt among others post and you will be fine. If you consider yourself a good athlete try them yourself to get the feel so you can explain it your daughter better. I'm in the "FEEL IT, FIX IT" crowd. My daughter has made tremendous strides thanks to Tewks and all the other great minds. In order to get better/smarter you first must admit that you don't know everything and are willing to try "NEW" things. This is by far the best source out there bar none.

Mar 17, 2010
Chicagoland
Believe me, I know I don't know everything (my wife might say "anything", but that's another issue). The compounding factor is that I'm NOT that good of an athlete, but have a very analytical mind (engineer). Thus the name, geekydad. :). I'm hoping some the experts will point me to threads/links as my first attempts at searching here were not successful.

Feb 14, 2010
Just type in whatever topic you want to fix in the search engine and it will direct you to all the threads on that particular topic. Amazing amount of info here. I started a thread on bat drag and elbows flying not too long ago and got a ton of feedback.