Lead runner on bunts...at what age do you go after them?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
I know that the skill level of the team will dictate this but I'm curious to hear your opinion. My travel team just moved to 14u. We are predominately 13 year olds. At 10u we never chased the "fool's gold" of the lead runner when fielding bunts. I always had my players get the sure out at first. We went after the lead runner a few times at 12u with mixed results. But this year we have been very successful getting the out at second when the bunt is fielded by the catcher. And yesterday my first baseman was able to get the force out at 3rd on a sneak bunt up the first baseline. Our success makes me wonder if I made a mistake by not doing this more when we were 12u.

Your thoughts?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I would also practice throwing behind the runner, you can catch quite a few rounding the bag at 2nd. As for the OP, 14 is fine to get them to start making those decisions on their own.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I suggest you play the play at hand. If you feel there is direction needed, designate one player to make that call (often the catcher).

I understand the "get the sure out" thing, but at some point you need to let them learn to read and make the play.

Pet peeve, and I've seen this even at the HS level. Runners on 1st & 2nd, or just 2nd with 2 outs. Ground ball to short with the runners advancing without hesitation. Where does F6 who is standing in the base line, go with the ball? 1st base! Talk about taking the umpire out of the play!?!? I have actually seen players with the ball, sidestep the runner to make the throw to 1st. If she didn't move, the runner would have ran right into the out. Drives umpires crazy! :)

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Our 2nd year 14U team, first focus is the lead runner on any bunt. We rotate into a defense specific for this if there is a lefty at the plate....1st base back, 3rd base and SS up, 2B very close to the 2 bag. Key number 1 is getting the pitcher to hit the spots outside.....pulling a bunt down 1st baseline is bad; leaves the pitcher to cover the entire right side. Now if the hitter tries to get that bunt down first base, it usually results in a popup off the end of the bat, or a clean miss. It's been pretty successful for us.

Jan 15, 2009
We would practice this at 14U. Coach would set up situations and then have the kids make decisions, but discuss after. Firm bunts straight to an infielder we would go for the lead runner, ANY bobble or time taken to field the ball and you go to one for the sure out. Also as mentioned earlier practice throwing behind the runner was practiced as well, this is key to not only getting some extra outs, but teaching them responsible baserunning so they don't get picked off easily themselves.

I think the answer is easy...run the drills in practice with a runner at first if the girls can consistently get the runner out on a bunt without throwing the ball away it is time to start trying it in a game if most throws don't get the runner or end up in the outfield you are not ready.

Then you just have to work on the girls knowing when to try for second and when to go to first, probably should be a harder bunt that gets to the fielder quickly and is fielded cleanly, also what is the game situation there are times (many in fact) when I tell my girls to get me the sure out at first base so they can clear their minds and not hesitate because we need the out in that situation more than we need the lead runner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA