Laura Happy Gilmore drill.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
RDB ... I went back and looked at some of your daughter's earlier swing clips.

IMO she's made significant progress.

Keep up the good work!

I agree. I truly believe that with a plan, some focus, and hard work she will quickly be amazing.

My advice (from my own errors), to any parent hitting/pitching instructors, is to spend as much time working with them in the "classroom" as you do in the cage. Get a good binder. Make a plan. Stick to the plan. The plan can change, but not the day she is struggling. If she has trouble one a certain day, don't bounce around with new drills or swing theories. Just call it quits for the day, take some notes, and see if the trouble comes up the next time in the cage. 9/10 it doesn't

Get photobucket, iphoto, or something to save her swings and swing videos or gifs of model hitters/pitchers. Sit and go over them. Talk about them. Get someone to tape her games. Go over them and talk about. Teach her to diagnose swings. Have her look at kids that post on here.

Protect her and help her protect herself. If you go the parent instructor route, don't sent her to an instructor. Avoid people that are going to confuse her or hinder her progress. I know there are some good pitching instructors out there, hitting...not so much. Teach her to talk mechanics and be bold, confident, and respectful when discussing them. She will draw attention, most well meaning, but not helpful. She has to be mindful that she doesn't HAVE TO do anything a coach says. Maybe you won't play for that coach much longer, but so what. With that mindfulness, talk hitting with excitement and confidence. I have personally seen dads/coaches that were "experts" morph their instruction into what they have seen my kid instructing others to do. They would never admit it, but who cares...which leads to my last point...help her be confident on the field (it is a battle, you have to know you are the best) and humble off the field. Find opponents that have your drive, and make friends with them. Last last point before getting off my soapbox, help her decide what SHE wants and write her mission statement. Peers will influence her, but a mission statement will be great help to her in making decisions. Makes me think of this vid:

Sorry for preachin'...the Starbuck's Thanksgiving blend is dangerous!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is some of the best advice I have ever seen! I agree with every bit of it!

My advice (from my own errors), to any parent hitting/pitching instructors, is to spend as much time working with them in the "classroom" as you do in the cage. Get a good binder. Make a plan. Stick to the plan. The plan can change, but not the day she is struggling. If she has trouble one a certain day, don't bounce around with new drills or swing theories. Just call it quits for the day, take some notes, and see if the trouble comes up the next time in the cage. 9/10 it doesn't

Get photobucket, iphoto, or something to save her swings and swing videos or gifs of model hitters/pitchers. Sit and go over them. Talk about them. Get someone to tape her games. Go over them and talk about. Teach her to diagnose swings. Have her look at kids that post on here.

Protect her and help her protect herself. If you go the parent instructor route, don't sent her to an instructor. Avoid people that are going to confuse her or hinder her progress. I know there are some good pitching instructors out there, hitting...not so much. Teach her to talk mechanics and be bold, confident, and respectful when discussing them. She will draw attention, most well meaning, but not helpful. She has to be mindful that she doesn't HAVE TO do anything a coach says. Maybe you won't play for that coach much longer, but so what. With that mindfulness, talk hitting with excitement and confidence. I have personally seen dads/coaches that were "experts" morph their instruction into what they have seen my kid instructing others to do. They would never admit it, but who cares...which leads to my last point...help her be confident on the field (it is a battle, you have to know you are the best) and humble off the field. Find opponents that have your drive, and make friends with them. Last last point before getting off my soapbox, help her decide what SHE wants and write her mission statement. Peers will influence her, but a mission statement will be great help to her in making decisions.

Sorry for preachin'...the Starbuck's Thanksgiving blend is dangerous!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree. I truly believe that with a plan, some focus, and hard work she will quickly be amazing.

I also agree with this statement. I do not know RDBass but I noticed from another thread that Laura was playing in a round robin several weeks ago that my DD was also playing in. I met RD, spoke with him briefly, and enjoyed our conversation. I was very impressed with Laura; athletic ability, intelligence, determination, attitude... All are above average in my opinion. I have no doubt that she will continue to improve.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Saw this girl hitting this weekend. Great personal story behind why Her Dad taught Her to swing this way.
Interesting that so many coaches teach hitters this drill but won't allow them to step in the box and try it live.
She hit a lot of line drives. Unfortunately, by the time I got the camera out I was only able to catch a pop up and a bunt.

[video=youtube_share;UWSZuvPtOOg]http://youtu.be/UWSZuvPtOOg?list=UU5xw_NSrW7u2r0RTKoyNa6A[/video]

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Saw this girl hitting this weekend. Great personal story behind why Her Dad taught Her to swing this way.
Interesting that so many coaches teach hitters this drill but won't allow them to step in the box and try it live.
She hit a lot of line drives. Unfortunately, by the time I got the camera out I was only able to catch a pop up and a bunt.

[video=youtube_share;UWSZuvPtOOg]http://youtu.be/UWSZuvPtOOg?list=UU5xw_NSrW7u2r0RTKoyNa6A[/video]

Great drill IMO.

I perform walk-ups a bit differently … and like to see them used off of a live arm … including front-toss.

I used to perform front-toss walk-ups with my hitters years ago, and recently started back doing them. Very beneficial … allowing the hitter to benefit from the overall use of their body … from the use of their rear leg to the use of their upper body and hands.

Here’s an example more along the way I perform front-toss walk-ups.

15xk0w2.gif

From here I progress to using the same skills being developed, but without the hitter performing a walk-up. After that we move to a live arm … or pitching machine if that’s what you have.

For those that follow Dr Yeager’s work … he instructed a walk-up that I prefer. Hitter walks up & to the batters box at what resembles a 45-degree angle … more like what we see in the above video. Yeager would also instruct walk-ups against a live arm.

Oct 10, 2011
front toss

We've been doing the Walk up drill for awhile but finally tried it with front toss this week. It was a nice change of pace and DD preferred it over the tee. I like the tee though for warming up but I highly recommend trying it with front toss. I tried to time my throw with her walking up and that was wrong. .. Just start your normal motion and let them time the throw.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
After performing walk-ups with front-toss I like to continue front-toss without the 'walk-up', and replace the 'walk-up' with 'rhythm'.

Many times you'll see kids performing walk-ups and then moving to normal swings. Their sequence generally looks good in their walk-up, and try as they might, they struggle to bring that same good sequence into their normal swing. If you replace that 'walk-up' with 'rhythm' you'll be able to retain the sequence.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd