Lafayette ... any comments on their hitter's mechanics?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2011
haha, I played tennis in college, not baseball. And yes I clocked serves at 118mph, a few higher... without SnF mechanics. Not saying the legs are not used, but not needed to smash the ball... such as a serve or overhead leaping smash.

Not making fun of you, just saying the analogy was incorrect.

Your comment re the tennis analogy is simply incorrect maybe at certain levels tennis is a wrist flick or a tippy toes wrist flick with a bouncy ball - too funny. Keep trying until u can crank a serve or smash a topspin forehand - then let me know what's going on in your racquet side leg, hip back etc

May 4, 2012
Well I only played tennis thru high school - so I guess stretching and firing was the culprit :confused:. I honestly do not see how you can say there are not any similarities with a straight face. To each his own, right? Good luck in your journey. Have a great weekend

Nov 29, 2011
There is similarities, the difference is that a tennis player can get very close to MAXIMUM power with an open stance, I say a baseball player cannot, maybe 60-70% of his maximum power.

Well I only played tennis thru high school - so I guess stretching and firing was the culprit :confused:. I honestly do not see how you can say there are not any similarities with a straight face. To each his own, right? Good luck in your journey. Have a great weekend

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
haha, I played tennis in college, not baseball. And yes I clocked serves at 118mph, a few higher... without SnF mechanics. Not saying the legs are not used, but not needed to smash the ball... such as a serve or overhead leaping smash.

Not making fun of you, just saying the analogy was incorrect.

You played tennis in college. Not making fun of you, I played hockey in college and we had to use our legs. arms and elbows(sometimes). I'm not sure how you can say you didn't need your legs to 'smash' the ball as you say. I think maybe your anology is incorrect? I could be wrong though since I never played tennis in college. :confused: Just having some fun.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In many tennis serves neither foot is in contact with the ground when the tennis racquet makes contact with the ball.

That said ... in many good swings the rear foot is not in contact with the ground when the barrel makes contact with the ball.

In both cases ground reaction forces (with respect to the legs) were involved in the application of force.

Nov 29, 2011
You guys will argue anything, lol.

There does need to be some kind of ground reaction force to hit the ball hard, just not the same as baseball.

And rdbass, since your a hitting expert now, among everything else, maybe you can post an updated swing of your daughter??

Attachments

• Roger.jpg
    Roger.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 317

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi