ACL reconstruction experiences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2019
DD had ACL reconstruction two weeks ago, and I would love to hear your experiences. Did your DD regain full strength and range of motion? How long until she was comfortably practicing, batting, playing hard?

DD can be a little hard to keep down, and she came out of surgery feeling better than expected and lit up when they looked impressed that she had 120* ROM at her one week post op visit. Her doctor gave her a fairly stern talking to that she can't rush her rehab, but he told her she can walk to tolerance without crutches so she hasn't touched them since. My biggest fear is that she won't observe the restrictions in place if they don't hurt. A lot.

Surgery was 3/31. Assuming we can keep her rehabbing correctly, does fall ball seem at all a possibility? What about being fully back in shape for HS try outs? She will be a freshman next year and we don't live in the same town as her HS. She has never played in the rec program that feeds her HS and only knows a few kids. I know they will have heard good things about her, but they won't have seen her play. She is worried about going to tryouts rusty.

Apr 20, 2015
D1 speedster on our team tore her able fall sophomore year in a gag powder puff football game in September. She worked her tail off and her mom is a PT and was released at the beginning of March just in time for the pandemic. That'd been my experience with most ACL is 6mo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
I had mine done 30 years ago..a lot has changed (for the better) since then.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Sorry to hear crisco, hope she heals up fast and hits the ground running! I tore my medial meniscus in my left knee 6 or 7 years ago, that's a mosquito bite compared to your DD's ACL surgery!

Jan 28, 2017
Former football coach that unfortunately had a lot of players that had ACL injuries. Most were my better athletes. One thing that I noticed- it seems that most of the kids had some asymmetry- meaning that a foot turned in or out. All the experts will tell you that if you are doing weight training to make sure they are getting low enough to activate the hamstrings. Some came back just as good and some didn't. Mental part of it is a big deal.

Dec 11, 2019
Thanks, guys!

6 months gives me some hope, and I will be sure to keep on her form when she is doing her PT/rehab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 2, 2013
DD tore her ACL playing basketball last winter (2020). Tore it in February and played in every HS softball game the next fall, starting in August. In fact she got fully released the week practice started. Her surgeon is very conservative and told her he wants her in a brace for the first year after release and then it's up to her. She's 8 months into wearing the brace and is ready to get rid of it.

The secret to a quick and healthy recovery is her physical therapy. Find a good therapist that will push your DD. It sounds like she won't have any problem pushing herself. We had a great therapist who had worked with college athletes and he pushed DD hard but was also very clear on what she shouldn't be doing. In fact, the whole process made her look into PT as a career.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23