knowing when to throw- pulling the trigger

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Perhaps an option to try would be to have her throw to second on EVERY pitch, when there's a runner at first?

For most kids that is a big throw and I wouldn't want to waste 10-20 early and have a catcher with spaghetti arm by the 2nd inning. It might not be a bad idea to toss in a few extra throws (especially if she's not seeing much or any action) just to keep the arm live (i.e. first pitch of first runner on in any inning is automatic throw down.) That way you work in a few extra throws and everyone should be ready for that situation.

The SS catcher relationship HAS to be confident which is built at practice! There should never be catcher hesitation, runner goes she throws (exception is runners on 1st and 3rd...whole other exciting topic) The ss obviously has to hold her ground until the catcher catches the ball. If ss focuses on the base runner disaster will follow. Breaking to 2nd as the runner leaves opens a huge hole. With quality diciplined practice thier timing will sharpen. Teach that each defensive player has a role in every situation

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The SS catcher relationship HAS to be confident which is built at practice! There should never be catcher hesitation, runner goes she throws (exception is runners on 1st and 3rd...whole other exciting topic) The ss obviously has to hold her ground until the catcher catches the ball. If ss focuses on the base runner disaster will follow. Breaking to 2nd as the runner leaves opens a huge hole. With quality diciplined practice thier timing will sharpen. Teach that each defensive player has a role in every situation

Runner at 1st and third the catcher and the whole infield should know exactly whats about to happen, if they do there will be no hesitation on the throw.

Originally Posted by Momo'sDad
I don't want teams to test my catcher after they watch her in warm-ups.

We study the opposing catcher during warmups. If she's slow, or on her tip toes, or in an akward twisted stance; she's going to have a busy first inning.

FYI...as a trick play in 1st inning we purposly often appear weak and awkward on some throwdowns in order to create temptation. After the throwdown infield gathers in the circle making sure to loudly say "nice throw". That awkward semifast throwdown becomes a missle on that 1st attempt. We call it the Shock and Awe. After that the other team isn't as agressive. Beyond the 1st inning i leave the decision for warmup throwdowns to them. Moral is you cant judge a book by its cover. Most aggresive running teams will constanly challenge by running often and stick to thier gameplan as they know a bobble or mishap will soon happen.

Runner at 1st and third the catcher and the whole infield should know exactly whats about to happen, if they do there will be no hesitation on the throw.

We love 1st and 3rd plays!! we have 6 different plays based on every possible scenerio(outs, score,inning,time, base runners speed, bracket or pool play..yada yada)
Last weekend in a dome tournament we made 6 outs on 1st-3rd plays against one of the most agressive running teams there(still lost 4-3 with long balls) What an awsome duel! Lined up at the end, both teams were smiling, commending each other for playing a very fun and exciting competative game! New friends were made at that moment. We'll get em next time....

Sep 4, 2009
We love 1st and 3rd plays!! we have 6 different plays based on every possible scenerio(outs, score,inning,time, base runners speed, bracket or pool play..yada yada)
Last weekend in a dome tournament we made 6 outs on 1st-3rd plays against one of the most agressive running teams there(still lost 4-3 with long balls) What an awsome duel! Lined up at the end, both teams were smiling, commending each other for playing a very fun and exciting competative game! New friends were made at that moment. We'll get em next time....
Better visit the pitching thread too....LOL...Just JOKING!!

Better visit the pitching thread too....LOL...Just JOKING!!

Right??!! LOL.... I keep my eyes peeled for the "how to make every pitcher a flame thrower" thread :) That tourney was an Elite Showcase full of powerhouse D1 talent. Good times!! If you know of any flamethrowers looking for a solid A/gold team in the Chicagoland area by all means push her my way :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi