knowing when to throw- pulling the trigger

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 19, 2009
I have a catcher with a stronger arm than most, yet she rarely throws out a runner. There are teams that won't run on her after watching her warm up. What can I suggest to her to get her to make a quicker decision?

Jul 11, 2009
Is she worried about shortstop not being there? Is the shortstop there in time? Tell her if runner goes, she throws and if shortstop is not there then she (shortstop) will be the one getting chewed on. And then stick to it. If catcher throws a couple into centerfield because ss is not there, or worse yet, can not handle the throw, then that will definitely shake catcher and make her reconsider throwing. Good Luck.

Nov 29, 2009
Is she worried about shortstop not being there? Is the shortstop there in time? Tell her if runner goes, she throws and if shortstop is not there then she (shortstop) will be the one getting chewed on. And then stick to it. If catcher throws a couple into centerfield because ss is not there, or worse yet, can not handle the throw, then that will definitely shake catcher and make her reconsider throwing. Good Luck.

That is exactly why when I have catchers working throw downs to 2nd base I have the shortstop start from her normal fielding position so the catcher gets use to seeing the movement all going towards the base at the same time and it's the SS job to get there in time. After a while they stop hesitating.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Coachbg.

Daddy O has is right, or as we say at our camp....Runner goes....catcher throws. It would be good to get an understanding of why she hesitates. Is there a weakness at the infielder positions? If so then more time needs to be spent in practice on that. Does she ever make pick-off throws to the corners?

Be sure when she practices her throws that you do not have an infielder standing on 2nd base before the throws. This can get catchers used to seeing the infielder right at the bag as they begin their throw. When in reality the runner will be just on her way to the bag when the ball leaves the catchers hand. Don't want catchers developing timing in their head that they need to see the infielder at the bag before they throw.

Jan 19, 2009
I would like to think that I have a pretty strong infield. She has rarely tried a pick off throw- primarily because no one gets off far enough. We don't practice a lot with the SS moving to take the throw. Great point! Should I have the SS pinch a little more toward 2nd? But to be honest, the shorstop getting to the bag has never been a problem for our SS.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
Having your SS pinch a little towards second base might help the situation. It really depends on why your catcher is hesitating. I agree with what others have said, catchers job is to throw the ball to the bag, SS job is to be there to catch it. If the SS isn't there to catch it, the catcher still did her job. Maybe emphasize this philosophy and see if it helps.

Mar 13, 2010
Perhaps an option to try would be to have her throw to second on EVERY pitch, when there's a runner at first? It might look odd, but we teach something simillar with batting (I've seen people describe it as 'yes, yes, yes, no!' with the decision) It would make the other teams a tad jumpy, and give your catcher confidence in herself.

If it's a case of she's worried the shortstop won't be there or they can't handle her throws, have your pitcher, catcher, short-stop and CF practise this at training. Even better have a batter there so you can train SS not to go until the ball is past the batter.

Jan 19, 2009
If it's just a matter of hesitating because of the shortstop, I think this can be easily fixible- just throw! I hope this is all that it is. But, I am not sure, so is there anything else it could be- could be not recognizing that the runner is going soon enough? I'm sure that the proper protocol is to focus on the pitch and look the ball into the glove first. What about a difference in stance for when runners are on, or transfer of ball from glove to throwing hand?

Sep 3, 2009
I don't want teams to test my catcher after they watch her in warm-ups. :)

We study the opposing catcher during warmups. If she's slow, or on her tip toes, or in an akward twisted stance; she's going to have a busy first inning. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi