Know it all umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2011
I am tired of these know it all umpires in travel ball. Some are so defensive you can t question any calls what so ever. I was coaching my daughters 12 u travel ball in Florence,SC. We were on defense and the opposing teams hitter it hit straight down and it was pretty muddy and it stuck. Our catcher picks up the ball and tags her out. The umpire starts yelling foul ball it was in the batters box. It look fair to me. I started questioning it, letting him know some of the batters box is in fair territory. He just told me to be quite, it was a judgement call. I did not scream or yell or cause a scene I just wanted a explaination. I let it go for a couple of innings and try to discuss it quitely on the way to coach 3rd base. He threaten to throw me out again. All he kept saying was it was in the batters box but would not show me where it was. If most umpire would just calm done and not be so defensive we would be better off.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
If a coach argues a judgement call he/she can be thrown out. Personally, I would like to see that happen more often.

Oct 12, 2011
Not arguing a call, just questioning and trying to get an explaination on a call. The ball is not foul just because it is in the batters box. If he would have said the ball was on the foul side of the line I would have said thank you and walked on. I know umpiring is a hard job. I have done it and dont want to really do again. It is a thankless job and I comment them for it but some are on a power trip and want to show who is boss.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
So agree lenny! My favorite call this season: the FU deep short location, calling the out at 1 on either a 1) throw back, or 2) infield grounder throw to 1. In the majority of those plays, the FU isn't able to see if the player is touching the base. The PU has a much better angle but it's the FU call to make or pass. Only twice have I seen the FU make the right call: call it and then point to the PU for assistance, or allow for the coach to appeal then allow the PU to make the call. Three times in a weekend the FU made a call and the 1st baseman was off the bag, all three times he refused help. I was just an observer between games and the right team ended up with the W, but I've seen that bad call kill a rally and end games.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've coached 4 years of travel ball, probably some 200 games, and don't have memory of an umpire with a know-it-all attitude.

I'm sure there are some out there, but I've never experienced it. I've seen some bad calls that they had a hard time defending, but never had an unpleasant conversation with an umpire. I've just found that if I talk to them like real people, I get the same in return.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
I don't think you mean Know-it-all as much as arrogant. I believe that every umpires goal should be to get things right. What is the problem with asking the other ump if he had a better view? Seen more than one time they would not even ask. What is wrong with not giving the coach an explanation of a call? Seen it more than one time that the coach was told to go sit on the bucket or get thrown out of the game and/or tourney. And some have big ears. At a tourney last year two ladies were behind the backstop, to the side, talking between themselves about some balls and strikes. They were not loud nor really objecting to the calls. The umpire called time and told them if they did not stop questioning his calls they would be asked to leave the tournament.

More likely than not it is the younger umpires who cause problems on themselves more than is necessary. It seems they are in for the money first and the game second.

Someone told me a story several years ago where the umpire lost it and was abusive to the coach and some spectators. The UIC was called in to calm things down. He first approached the umpire and got his story. He then went to the coach and got his explanation. Naturally the two stories did not match. The UIC called both together and the umpire became very defensive saying this and that did not happen. Then the coach pulled out a video that a parent had taped. The UIC immediately dismissed the umpire for the rest of the tournament.

I respect all umpires until they disrespect me. I don't argue with them, I just walk away.

May 13, 2008
Two or more innings later and you're going to question a foul ball? Better grow thicker skin or get out of coaching.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I am tired of these know it all umpires in travel ball. Some are so defensive you can t question any calls what so ever. I was coaching my daughters 12 u travel ball in Florence,SC. We were on defense and the opposing teams hitter it hit straight down and it was pretty muddy and it stuck. Our catcher picks up the ball and tags her out. The umpire starts yelling foul ball it was in the batters box. It look fair to me. I started questioning it, letting him know some of the batters box is in fair territory. He just told me to be quite, it was a judgement call. I did not scream or yell or cause a scene I just wanted a explaination. I let it go for a couple of innings and try to discuss it quitely on the way to coach 3rd base. He threaten to throw me out again. All he kept saying was it was in the batters box but would not show me where it was. If most umpire would just calm done and not be so defensive we would be better off.

Did he call it foul? Right or wrong, that IS the end of the story. Could he have been wrong? Maybe, but what do you think was going to change? Could you have been wrong? Yes, part of the batter's box is in fair territory. Could he have said the ball hit the batter in the box? However, at this point in time, it isn't going to make a difference what either of you think or talk about.

People want umpires to leave the past in the past, but you want to talk about a play that isn't going to change a couple innings later? Shutting you down or just ignoring you is a likely result.

Nov 1, 2009
Our coaches have a good reputation with umpires in our region. The problem I see is many travel coaches complain about every single call. My philosophy with my players and coaches is when the umpires make more mistakes in a game than we do then we can complain.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06