knob towards catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
During the "stretch" phase of sequence, how important is it to have to knob of the bat pointed towards the catcher? My DD has done a good job recently at keeping the bat close to the rear shoulder and follows the cue "pull the bow string," but her bat stays vertical. Should I be picky about that at this point? I'll have little time to work with her as her team goes full force in about a week.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Alittle bit would be ok, I would not over do it.
If you where to over do it the front elbow/shoulder might fly out.

Like turning the barrell. To much of that, and it will look like a golf swing, shoulder flies out.

Most of the time you give a hitter a swing thought, it will change something else

Straightleg

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
By no means an expert. Look at the liv's swing 11 y/o post. She pushes the knob toward catcher which seems to cause the barrel to go way behind her head which if I'm understanding several other posts contributes to bat drag.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
DSCN2315.jpg

Here is one of my DD at toe touch starting to shift the weight.. It is towards the catcher some.

SL

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks. I think I won't even bring it up at this point. We worked so hard on getting rid of the front arm bar and bat drag, I'd hate to cause any problems. At times I see it move slightly towards the catcher, but most of the time it is pretty much straight up and down.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
During the "stretch" phase of sequence, how important is it to have to knob of the bat pointed towards the catcher? My DD has done a good job recently at keeping the bat close to the rear shoulder and follows the cue "pull the bow string," but her bat stays vertical. Should I be picky about that at this point? I'll have little time to work with her as her team goes full force in about a week.

Toward the catcher? I would say the catchers feet.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
CaseyatIndianHill-2.jpg

Heres another at toe touch before weight shift. Bottom hand a small amount underneath the top hand.
I am happy with this setup, she maintains a flexed front arm and does not bar it out.

You can see the (grip) hook, index finger of top hand, keeping the bat in her fingers
Stepping out to the inside edge of her front foot with a flexed front knee.

SL

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
CaseyatIndianHill-2.jpg

Heres another at toe touch. Bottom hand a small amount underneath the top hand.
I am happy with this setup, she maintains a flexed front arm and does not bar it out.

SL

Yes. Bhut. I like it too.

I have said to others as we talk about vertical bats in mlbers a lot are holding the bat at the same angle to hands as your dd, but the guys tend to bend over a lot at their waist and makes the bat vertical, but it is closer to 45 degrees if they stood more upright.

Oct 10, 2011
CaseyatIndianHill-2.jpg

Heres another at toe touch before weight shift. Bottom hand a small amount underneath the top hand.

You can see the (grip) hook, index finger of top hand, keeping the bat in her fingers
Stepping out to the inside edge of her front foot with a flexed front knee.

SL

Okay, I just compared my DD's video at to touch and her front arm is bent a little more than your daughters, and maybe a very slight angle to the catchers feet.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
My son had a hitting coach that was big on pointing the knob at the catcher, which also pointed the barrel away from the catcher and promoted wrap. At the same time, DD's HC emphasized pushing the whole bat back, no wrap.

Pretty sure DD's coach was right, pointing is a bad cue, and the no-wrap stance works better.
Near as I can tell from the angle above she has it right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619