Knee savers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
Thats great. Its not often you find a resource so widly accepted. Jay, I would like to see you guys come back to Washington State. Any chance of that happening?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I take the things off the gear on teams I coach, I think they make the catchers lazy. So I have no idea where the correct placement is. How should they be worn?

Jul 26, 2010
They are supposed to be worn on the bottom two straps of the knee guards so that you don't put stress on the knee joint. The closer they are to the knee, the more they will work as a fulcrum and pull the knee apart.

Exactly. And the only time the catcher actually is "sitting" on the savers is in their sign receiving position. Runners on or no runners on positions keep the catcher off the savers if the catcher is "doing it correctly".

-W

3sDad

My DD is 14U playing 16U...She wears them, she likes not having them on, but her knees bother her when she doesnt...I figure as long as it helps with the fatigue its OK...She isnt lazy and doesnt use them as a 'crutch'....

Sep 3, 2009
If they're sitting on them in one of their receiving stances, then they're relying on them. They're probably good for younger kids, and newer catchers who are developing. But (my opinion mind you) they should be doing strengthening exercises, which would eliminate the need for them.

Jun 21, 2010
DD had her's behind her knees for a short time--didn't like them there. We took them off this past spring and she does fine without them. A friend's DD complains about sore knees and you know where she has her kneesavers.

3sDad

She seems to rest on them when giving signals, but moves into a receiving stance when pitch is thrown...full on ready if theres a baserunner...I saw high end D1 teams catchers using them...she can keep them as long as she likes...its her knees...

Im 50, I caught thru Dixie Majors...no such thing as knee savers, between 28 years in the Army and baseball...my knees feel like gravel is in them...

If they're sitting on them in one of their receiving stances, then they're relying on them. They're probably good for younger kids, and newer catchers who are developing. But (my opinion mind you) they should be doing strengthening exercises, which would eliminate the need for them.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I recently addressed this topic on ACC's Facebook page and got an interesting reply from a parent...

"As a massage therapist and a baseball catcher's mom, I don't believe it is beneficial to add pressure to the popliteal fossa area (behind the knee). When performing massage therapy, that is an area of the body that you DO NOT put pressure on, along with the antecubital fossa (inside of the elbow). Constant pressure will interfere with the nerves and blood flow in that area. I don't want my catcher to become dependent on that equipment, either...it could actually encourage injury..."

Obviously this addresses knee savers mounted on the upper straps right behind the knee. I always encourage once my catchers are comfortable with the correct stances that they try them the stances at home with no gear on practicing their receiving skills with rolled up socks, tennis balls ect... Most end up taking their knee savers off....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414