Knee savers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
My experience is not nearly as vast as some of the other posters here but my experience has been that most catchers have fought me about taking them off an then thanked me later . Most of them came back later and said that they felt quicker with out them on . I don't demand that they remove them but just ask that they at least try it my way and then make a decision . The one thing I find somewhat irritating is when I have spotted someone wearing them incorrectly (High on their gear) they seem to fight harder than anyone that the placement is correct and that the kneesavers are indeed needed .

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think they are great to wear in a showcase to get college coaches to ignore you. Get strong, learn proper mechanics, lose the crutch.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Some MLB wear small ones, but they play 180 games and life weights alot.

If you wear them and want to play on my HS team, I won't let you catch. And I tell them from day one. We are not here to sit on buckets (coaches) or cushions (catchers). I have yet to see a kid able to field a bunt with all that crap on. And most kids have them on the wrong straps. Since I don't know which connection spots are the right ones, I just say No to the whole thing.

Ignorance as a justification? Nice. :rolleyes:

The bottom straps are the correct location - ignorance fixed. Now you can go by your conclusion that is slows kids down. ;)

Feb 24, 2012
Yes or no? Why?

I have heard the school of thought that they make catcher's lazy. However I observed several catchers in Coach Weaver's video wearing them.

Dd's catching coach took them off last year. Said she would sit back on them at times. Best thing we ever did! Dd actually much more comfortable w/o them and moves better. (prob because not sitting back):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi