Knee savers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
He made it very clear that they MUST be worn on the lower strap settings to avoid putting pressure on the back side of the knee joint.

Thanks for that. I had my DD wear them (I guess incorrectly) on the upper straps. It had something to do with having her in a higher squat position and easier to pop out of. I suppose I will have to change that.

Dec 15, 2009
i noticed that wearing the knee savers on the upper straps does help me get out of my squat faster, but i've noticed that wearing them on the lower straps can be more comfortable. I play in 14&u and we have newer and younger pitchers. When you give them the sign they have to think about the sign, get over their nerves and then start their wind up. So as a catcher working with younger pitchers i recommend knee savers for catchers because you never know how long you might be squatting.

I love catching and the involvement you get from playing the position. However in June of 2009 i had minor knee surgery and was told that I probably wouldn't be able to catch without some degree of pain. When I borrowed a friend's knee savers, i noticed that I could catch pain-free. I have always worn them on the low straps, and I can now catch pain free less than 12 months after surgery. I really reccomend knee savers for all catchers.

May 5, 2008
Like Coach Weaver, I think they are good when used correctly and only in portions of the game to provide a little relief.

The one problem I see a lot with aids like this is that parents or coaches or players end up feeling like they are more "protected" somehow and put less emphasis on the training and exercise they need to do to properly care for their knees and the strain that is put on them from this position.

I will always believe that core work and strengthening all those little stabilizer muscle in your legs is NECESSARY for catchers.

I never had knee problems playing - ever.

Then I got out of shape (not even heavy, just not active) and tried catching for my daughters. I don't use a bucket because I find it more difficult to bail if I'm sitting on one should my dd happen to throw a bad pitch (of course that's sooooo rare - yeah right!).

Anyway - I found that me knees would hurt after any pitching session where I caught for my daughter.

I figured I was just getting old, my knees are just not the same.

Then I started doing core work - I hadn't even done it that long, nor all that much, but one thing I noticed right away - my knees no longer hurt when I catch (nor after). I have not had any knee pain at all from catching since starting to incorporate more core work in my exercise (whereas before it happened every time). I was so happy to have my "young" knees back!

Jul 14, 2010
New England
I'm a catcher and I wear knee savers (on the lower straps). I took lessons with Dave Weaver and I do everything he teaches. Obviously, when there are runners on they don't do any good, but I was wondering if people think they help a little in the no runners on position.

This is the stance I'm talking about for people who aren't familiar with Dave's method. It looks like this girl isn't wearing them. Should I try taking mine off my leg guards?

‪Softball Receiving All Glove Positions‬‏ - YouTube

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
There are many reasons to wear the knee savers. My DD wore them for a while, but eventually took them off. I have worked with some catchers that are in a place in their growth where different parts of their body are growing at different rates. a lot of times the legs can reach adult proportions ahead of the torso. In this case the knee savers help with balance in the no-runner-on stance. If you have good balance without them, you may wish to try catching some practices without the knee savers using both no runner on and runner on stances to see how you like it. I will assume being a former student of Coach Weaver (We miss you Dave) that you are able to wall sit for several minutes and your quadriceps are in good shape. Good luck and best wishes. -Chaz in KC

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm a catcher and I wear knee savers (on the lower straps). I took lessons with Dave Weaver and I do everything he teaches. Obviously, when there are runners on they don't do any good, but I was wondering if people think they help a little in the no runners on position.

Except for compensating for an injury, the knee savers are only effective during your sign giving stance. If you can catch Dave's way, you're strong enough not to need knee savers at all.

FWIW - My DD also is a 'Weaver Girl' and had a college coach come up to her after a recent showcase game and comment that it was nice to see a strong catcher without knee savers playing the position. DD was happy because she knew it would have made Coach Dave (and Jay) proud.

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
Except for compensating for an injury, the knee savers are only effective during your sign giving stance. If you can catch Dave's way, you're strong enough not to need knee savers at all.

FWIW - My DD also is a 'Weaver Girl' and had a college coach come up to her after a recent showcase game and comment that it was nice to see a strong catcher without knee savers playing the position. DD was happy because she knew it would have made Coach Dave (and Jay) proud.

Well said, and let her know that I (and my father) are most assuredly proud of her!

Aug 2, 2008
My youngest daughter switched from pitcher to catcher this year and we just didnt buy her knee savers, no complaints from her. I have to watch my Weaver dvds again and see if that wall sitting drill is in there, (its been a couple of years). I bought his dvd's to help our other catcher and Dave was more than happy to exchange e-mails and pm's when I had questions, his presence will surely be missed.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My youngest daughter switched from pitcher to catcher this year and we just didnt buy her knee savers, no complaints from her. I have to watch my Weaver dvds again and see if that wall sitting drill is in there, (its been a couple of years). I bought his dvd's to help our other catcher and Dave was more than happy to exchange e-mails and pm's when I had questions, his presence will surely be missed.

IIRC, the DVD does talk about and show the wall sit briefly. Dave will be missed by many but the good news is that his NECC partner and son, Jay has the same passion and gift for instructing catchers that his Dad did and is continuing the legacy. Jay has started posting here under the screen name CCJR and is a great resource.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad