Knee saver opinions/recommendation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have a hard time believing the "extra weight" argument. These are foam blocks covered with cloth. They don't weigh very much at all. I would bet that my DD's current Schutt S3 legs with the Mizuno wedges are lighter than her previous Easton leg without wedges. If weight on the legs is THAT big a deal, then selecting the lightest possible legs would be a much bigger topic of discussion around here. (IMO)

I didn't claim it made a big difference! 4.02 to back up first base IS slower than 4.01, right?

Dec 19, 2012
I notice many here love wall sits as a way to strengthen the thighs and core, which is very true. What exercise(s) do you have your dd's perform to strengthen the back of the leg? Do not forget to strengthen those hamstrings!

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think no matter what is posted here there are some that will not change their minds. I never bought them for DD and told her I wouldn't. If a D1 prospect showed up wearing them I'd suggest she take them off. If she preferred not to the onus is off my back.

DD looks up to Yadier Molina. He doesn't wear them and keeps his helmet on. ;)

May 18, 2013
Richmond, VA
My DD in her "no runners" stance, with thighs in contact with the knee savers...
1535753_10203702291184280_747542500_n.jpg

1464608_10203779596996877_213676956_n.jpg

Without them, there is more bend in the knees and ankles (which causes her discomfort), and her butt ends up in the dirt. She started using them after a knee injury was limiting how far she could flex the knee, and they allowed her to keep playing. For her, they have been helpful.

Not considering a talented catcher just because she wears knee savers is about equal to not considering a bad-@$$ 3B because she wears an infielder's mask. IMO, if that's the kind of prejudice you use to select your players, I hope my neither of my DDs tries out for your team.

No offense Eric, but that is not a proper stance, runner on or not. She should be up off of the knee savers and bent forward which allows a more athletic stance performance wise as well as giving the umpire a better view of the ball.

For what it's worth, my daughter wears all-stars (small wedge shape) but only uses them while resting/calling pitches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207