Kicking the Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2011
In high school softball can a defensive player kick the softball to another defensive player intentionally to get an out?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Is there a rule book (NFHS) section that refers to this not being a violation?

Nope, but neither is there a section about throwing a rise ball not being a violation, nor a section about chewing bubble gum. The fact that there isn't a rule, note, casebook entry or interpretation against it makes it not a violation.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Is there a rule book (NFHS) section that refers to this not being a violation?
No, the rule book does not cover things that are NOT against the rules.

If it was illegal for a defensive player to kick the ball, there would be a rule saying so. There isn't

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Think of it this way--the ball caroms off the P's back to the 1B who retires the runner. Intentional or not you have the out. All a kick is, is an intentional carom off the foot.

Feb 5, 2019
If your 12 y/o is good enough to kick a softball straight to first base to get the out hats off to her. There are grown adults that can't even do that with a full size soccer ball.

As a runner I'd go shake her hand on my way to the dugout.

May 29, 2015
No, the rule book does not cover things that are NOT against the rules.

If it was illegal for a defensive player to kick the ball, there would be a rule saying so. There isn't

Uhhh ... hmmm.

I would not use that as wrote logic. There are rules about what is permissible and what is not permissible. Then there are lots of grey areas.

The biggest key, and my biggest gripe with many umpires, is asking "Is it within the spirit/intent of the game?" This big question seems to be lacking from many umpires' repertoire.

There is no rule against kicking a ball to another fielder. Is there any rule that indicates that might be against the spirit of the game? What happens if I allow it? What happens if I don't allow it? Those are the questions an umpire should be asking before making an unusual ruling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad