Kicking the Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
There is no rule against kicking a ball to another fielder. Is there any rule that indicates that might be against the spirit of the game? What happens if I allow it? What happens if I don't allow it? Those are the questions an umpire should be asking before making an unusual ruling.

That's a lot to process in the time necessary to decide a call and, in this situation, potentially a huge argument if you decided not to allow it without a rule or case play backing up that call. I can think of at least three completely legal and accepted ways for the ball to get from one player to another without being thrown (with the throwing arm) directly into a glove. Why would a kick be any different?

May 16, 2012
Missouri
Uhhh ... hmmm.

I would not use that as wrote logic. There are rules about what is permissible and what is not permissible. Then there are lots of grey areas.

The biggest key, and my biggest gripe with many umpires, is asking "Is it within the spirit/intent of the game?" This big question seems to be lacking from many umpires' repertoire.

There is no rule against kicking a ball to another fielder. Is there any rule that indicates that might be against the spirit of the game? What happens if I allow it? What happens if I don't allow it? Those are the questions an umpire should be asking before making an unusual ruling.
"Is it in the spirit/intent of the game" has never been taught at any rules meeting or clinic I have ever attended in 18 years of USA, USSSA, NSA, NFHS, or NCAA. I never use that phrase.

May 29, 2015
That's a lot to process in the time necessary to decide a call and, in this situation, potentially a huge argument if you decided not to allow it without a rule or case play backing up that call. I can think of at least three completely legal and accepted ways for the ball to get from one player to another without being thrown (with the throwing arm) directly into a glove. Why would a kick be any different?

In the spur of the moment, yes -- that is a lot of information to process. That is why many umpires resort to improperly using a wrong rule when something weird happens.

What one should be doing is practicing that process to learn a way of thinking that will result in better decisions in the moment. No, there is no way we can imagine every possible scenario beforehand. Nor can we expect the rulebook to spell out every possible scenario. What we can do is use the rulebook to understand the intent (spirit) of the game so we can do our best in those unusual scenarios.

As for kicking the ball, I have no problem with that. There is no violation of the spirit of the game (IMO), despite the word "kick" not appearing in the rulebook.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In the spirit of getting the out...
Have yelled
'kick it'
to a teammate who was having fumble fingers.

May 29, 2015
"Is it in the spirit/intent of the game" has never been taught at any rules meeting or clinic I have ever attended in 18 years of USA, USSSA, NSA, NFHS, or NCAA. I never use that phrase.

Yes, the rules cover a great deal of things ... but not everything. Hence the catchall rule at the end giving umpires discretion to rule on anything not covered. So what logic do you use?

Do you "think like an umpire" or do you "do what umpires are taught"? (Not asking that pejoratively ... I would say MOST umpires "do what umpires are taught.")

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes, the rules cover a great deal of things ... but not everything. Hence the catchall rule at the end giving umpires discretion to rule on anything not covered. So what logic do you use?
Like it ☝'but not everything'

:) logic? Or interpretation?
Whatever makes the decision quicker cuz the game clock is running... ;)

Jun 8, 2016
I watch plenty of 12U softball and I see plenty of kids boot GB...that is what we are talking about right?

Mar 6, 2016
Brings up the play a long time ago about the MLB player who blew a slow rolling bunt foul.

Even though there is no specific written rule against a player blowing on the ball, most umpires are in agreement that this should not be allowed. I was back in 1980s and, after initially ruling the ball foul after Amos Otis blew it foul, the umpires later overturned their call because they felt that a fielder should not be allowed to illegally alter the course of a batted ball. Since a situation like this is not explained in the rule book, the umpires used rule 9.01(c), which says that the umpires are allowed to make any ruling on anything not covered in the rule book, to rule that this is not allowed and that the batter should be awarded first base.

Umpires have 9.01C to use if needed.

Sep 19, 2018

Years later Paul O told the story that once in the dug out, the first baseman (Benziner?) asked him why he lobbed the ball in. If he threw it harder they would have kept the batter from going to 2nd.

May 29, 2015
Brings up the play a long time ago about the MLB player who blew a slow rolling bunt foul.

Even though there is no specific written rule against a player blowing on the ball, most umpires are in agreement that this should not be allowed. I was back in 1980s and, after initially ruling the ball foul after Amos Otis blew it foul, the umpires later overturned their call because they felt that a fielder should not be allowed to illegally alter the course of a batted ball. Since a situation like this is not explained in the rule book, the umpires used rule 9.01(c), which says that the umpires are allowed to make any ruling on anything not covered in the rule book, to rule that this is not allowed and that the batter should be awarded first base.

Umpires have 9.01C to use if needed.

... and that is the heart of what I am trying to get at ... How does an umpire use OBR 9.01(c) (or the equivalent in other codes)? It is not carte blanche to invoke MSU rules.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207