Keeping things in perspective

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
When I started this softball journey, I was motivated to give the girls in my area the opportunity to succeed, specifically in competition. My motivation was in spite of those that said they could not and would not. I never lost sight of that - and they overcame those "odds". Regardless of the success they've had in the wins column, the largest victory I've experienced was put into a new perspective today; after a horrible revelation:

My eldest son lost one of his closest friends to suicide.

He was a great kid; incredibly intelligent, but very introspective and detached. In this day and age, detachment is trending far too much - and it's far too easy. Whether it's parent work schedules, desensitizing electronic gadgets, or the plethora of other distractions available to us in this day and age - the most difficult thing to sit back and watch is our failing communities, and retraction into self.

So, I reach out to this community with the intention and reminder of the importance of what you do and the impact that you really have. As a bucket dad, bucket mom, coach, etc. - your roll in your DD's and other players self-image, social acceptance, and general "well-being" is immeasurable. Your involvement with them strengthens your bond; and their character.

My best memories coaching student-athletes are not just the games we won; but instead the images of them running to the sidelines after a game and celebrating their achievements - with family, friends, and all community supporters.

Sure... it's just a game. It's only softball. It's just pitching. But in my mind... what YOU do unselfishly, is much larger than the game.

As parents, we all want our children to succeed - but I urge you to realize that success is not only measured by the level you reach, or fail to reach.... but instead, the quality of the journey you make together.

I personally thank all of you for your positive involvement in these kids lives. You are all, differences aside, great people.

I hope you all keep this in perspective... and I sincerely hope none of you experience the loss our community suffered today.

Best,
~JS

Jun 18, 2010
In this day and age, detachment is trending far too much - and it's far too easy. Whether it's parent work schedules, desensitizing electronic gadgets, or the plethora of other distractions available to us in this day and age - the most difficult thing to sit back and watch is our failing communities, and retraction into self.

^^^^^^Very well said.

So sorry for your family and the family of that young man.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My family and I pray for this young man's familys' loss, your family and for your community. No parent should ever have to outlive their child, no matter how old the parents or child may be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12