Keeping DD sharp during tournament season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2014
This season was my 11yo DD'S first year of TB. Since they practiced only once a week on Sundays I signed her up for our townships rec league. The tournament season and rec league season have ran simultaneously from early April to June, and I figured rec would be good "practice" for tournaments. Well it didn't work out quite as I had hoped for. I have found that she is so far ahead of the girls in the rec league that it has actually been detrimental to her game play. She feels it's not necessary to try as hard in rec. , the pitching is much slower so she likes to drop her hands and swing for the fence, she pitches slower and has lazy form because quite honestly she gets strike outs anyway. Plus the coaches have a tendency to want her to do everything and when she makes one mistake or doesn't get huge hits ...they are all over her.

Along with this 2 to 3 games a week and weekend tournaments have left little time for practice. Next year I would like to not put her in rec. Ball...Our TB team is going to do 2x a week practice plus pitching coach once a week. Plus in the yard with me. Is this enough? I would like to reduce the number of games but keep the focus up. Any suggestions on what is enough or too much and ways to keep my DD sharp (she gets board quick!)? TY

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Some thoughts:

- Rec: Play up an age division for level of competition and only play if you have specific goals in mind (i.e. need more circle time, need time at SS, etc). Otherwise don't play. I think it is too much to do both at the same time anyway. Play a different sport if you are going to do two seasons at once.
- You don't need team activities to practice. On off days my DD hits and pitches 2-3 buckets of balls into a bownet by herself. Takes her less then 30 minutes and makes a big difference. All you need is a tee and a bownet and a bit of room and away you go.

Otherwise if you are already at 2 practices, PC, lots of games plus actually doing some work with her in the yard you are doing plenty and more than most. At this age it really is how much does she want to do - they can burn out quick if you are forcing them in any way.

It is why I like my DD doing a quick 15-30 minutes by herself - it is short, doesn't interfere with her off day and it gets her moving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207