JV Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
My DD's TB team other pitcher was forced onto the freshman team because of politics (she didn't play for the local communities TB team).

She now has college interest purely through TB.

HS means nothing except for some practice cycles for the girls.......

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Northwestern coach gave a talk about recruiting players and she contradicted herself a little bit so I do not think she had her head around the whole thing but she preferred players that played for their school. JV, varsity whatever. She felt that the experience in playing for a school translated into them playing for Northwestern. It seemed important to her.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I think that is a little over the top unless she really is much better than current players.

I would never imagine "moving" so my DD could play HS ball. And her situation is different...she is at a disadvantage as she is a sophomore and has two senior pitchers over her. While i don't expect her to start as the other girls are seniors and decent pitchers....i will be very disappointed if she does not get some Varsity pitching time at some point.

With her TB record and exposure at the u-18 level i am not that worried about early HS exposure.

OMG, a crazy pitcher parent who gets it!

When my DD was an incoming freshman there was already a Senior pitcher and her Sophomore sister pitcher who were both very good and played TB at 18G and 16U respectfully. We never once thought about her playing for another school and when she was placed on JV at the beginning of the year we thought it would be good for her to be a leader and get lots of time in the circle.

After dominating in the first JV tournament the HS coaches pulled her up to Varsity telling her that she wouldn't have had fun in JV. It was raining at her very first Varsity game and the Senior pitcher nor her sister wanted to pitch in the rain so DD got to pitch, she led the team to a win. The next thing that happened was the sophomore sister was removed from the team for grades so DD and the senior shared innings. DD did so well that she ended up starting every regular league game and all post season.

You just never know what's going to happen in HS. Most importantly, DD is getting her name in the paper regularly and she is well known around the school during softball season.

I wouldn't have THOUGHT to take any of that away from her because of my own selfish vanity of "seeing her be a success"!

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Some TB coaches really push "varsity only" for their players....selfish. However, very often JV programs have just one coach, who is often more of a babysitter and organizer rather than a coach. There's always the fear of bad habits developing in these situations, that will take the TB coach a long time to correct. Looking at TB as an investment, coaches and parents alike get very concerned when this happens.

That being said, if the kid (girl or boy, whatever sport) wants to play with their friends, let them!! They only get to be a kid once.

Dec 19, 2008
We play fall HS ball. DD pitched JV as a freshman this year. She has a sophmore, and 2 juniors ahead of her for this fall. The senior will graduate. DD took away half of sophmores pitching time.

DD plays for 1 of the top 2 HS's in the district. Every game goes back and forth on the wins and losses, varsity and jv, between these 2 schools. The other school has a sophmore pitcher who is an 18Gold pitcher. She pitches jv for that school.

When you have a high school, or 2 for that matter that both varsity and jv are made up of 95% travel ball players, that is how it goes. You just have to put your time in.

High school ball will be and is one of the most important and memorable times in DD's life. Play for your school.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid