Just starting out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2012
Hello All, my DD is in her 2nd yr of SB and is in yr 1 of 8U and has played in the circle from the beginning and is doing very well. My question is, if she wants to try and stay in this position she is going to have to learn how to pitch by the time she moves up to 10U and was wondering when she needs to start taking pitching lessons. I was thinking now.

Apr 22, 2012
I would start by purchasing some videos or watching alot of instruction on youtube. Work on form and technique without much attention to accuracy. I would not start with pitching lessons until 12U.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I would start NOW! At least to get her (and you) started with good mechanics and something to work on.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. Start her in pitching lessons, prior to her ever attempting to pitch. I have much more success, with girls that come in that haven't pitched, than those that spend a couple of seasons using bad mechanics. It is too hard to break old habits. Then, you get the ones that are half way successful their first couple of years and then, start falling behind to girls that have 2 years of lessons. They don't want to change and they don't want advice - and they are done by the time that they are 10 or 12.

Work on overhand throw. If she gets that right, everything else will come easy.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
If you do not know all the details on how to pitch yourself....then take her to someone for lessons now. 7/8 is a fantastic time to start lessons. The earlier the better for the mechanics. It will take a long time to develop the skill. Be Patient. Be encouraging. Get used to sitting on a bucket and being a bucket dad. Think long term as at this age it will take a year to grow into betting it across the plate with good mechanics. Emphasis on good mechanics. Our leagues started at 30 feet so strength was not the focus but rather mechanics. As that got better (about 4-6 months) we move up in distance to 35 feet to prepare for 10U. Goof luck as this takes a lot of time and dedication to become good. There will be times she will beg to pitch and them times you will have to heavily encourage her to get out there and practice. But in the end if she wants it she will do fine.

May 7, 2012
NC
Yep get her in them. Now before she starts enforcing any bad habits!!! The sooner the better. I watched all the videos, used editing software to slow down the videos frame by frame and then tried to emulate! I knew within 2 pitches I was over my head and got her to a PC!!

Nov 14, 2011
The sooner the better for lessons. My DD learned the hard way that breaking bad habits with poor mechanics is very tough. 8 years old isn't too young for lessons. Get a lesson a week or every other week to get the ball rolling the correct direction. Then have her pitch to you enforcing the same philosophy as your coach at least twice a week. She will get there with time but you will be very happy to get her lessons early. The key with all of this is for your DD to have fun during every lesson, pitching practice with you, etc. If you push her too hard during any of this then you are fighting a losing battle.

Good luck and let us know how she is doing!

Apr 13, 2011
Maine
My daughter is also an 8u player that wants to be a pitcher. I did some research and found the Worth Club-K Beginning Pitching Kit online at the link below. It comes with a mat, ball and DVD, and it has made a difference. The DVD is short and features pitching instructor Cheri Kempf, who provides a complete explanation of how to use the product as well as how to create a solid pitching foundation. My daughter is actually pitching, and her mechanics are good. With all of the softball on ESPN lately, she is on her mat twice a day practicing her footwork. I bought one at the link below for $35, but then bought another one on Ebay for under $20 total. I coach her team and let each of the girls who are interested take it home for a week to practice. It's an affordable and helpful tool.

Beginning Pitching Kit

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Bill Hillhouse's "House of Pitching" video seems to get the most recommendations. I personally do not care for 95% of the pitching videos on Youtube. The Bill Hillhouse videos on Fastpitch TV are good. Spend some time skimming through the pitching forum here before seeking out a pitching coach.

Best wishes

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1