Just asking because I’m confused…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
The pitchers job is to miss the barrel, weak contact. Harder to do vs good hitting teams. Maybe this was against a weak hitting team and the coach is trying to season her for the better hitting teams?
< 20 pitches per inning is not a question of efficiency

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Were there a lot of foul balls with 2 strikes on the batter ? Was 18 the total number of pitches thrown or the total number of pitches recorded in the book as a ball or a strike ?

May 27, 2013
The pitchers job is to miss the barrel, weak contact. Harder to do vs good hitting teams. Maybe this was against a weak hitting team and the coach is trying to season her for the better hitting teams?
< 20 pitches per inning is not a question of efficiency

This was a baseball game. Each pitcher only pitched one inning from our team, another reason as to why I’m confused if coach only has one inning to base it off of.

It’s all good. I’m not upset by it, just confused.

May 27, 2013
Were there a lot of foul balls with 2 strikes on the batter ? Was 18 the total number of pitches thrown or the total number of pitches recorded in the book as a ball or a strike ?

Eighteen total pitches thrown, 15 for strikes which included foul balls and the ball put in play (non-parent coach does GC).

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So if a pitcher is throwing over 80% strikes, what else can they do to make it so they “pitch to contact?” If the batters are swinging and missing or fouling pitches off that are in the zone what should change? I’m trying to just understand better.
80% strikes is too high in most circumstances, IMO. Pitchers need to be able to throw off the plate and create foul balls, weak contact or swing and misses.

Nov 29, 2009
80% strikes is too high in most circumstances, IMO. Pitchers need to be able to throw off the plate and create foul balls, weak contact or swing and misses.

EXACTLY!!!! I used to ask the pitchers I worked with "What is the best pitch you can throw?" The answer was always a "A strike." I would tell them that answer was wrong. Then I let them know the best pitch you can throw is a ball outside the strike zone the hitter swings at and misses or makes poor contact with. Once they understood that they started to think like a pitcher. Not a player who pitches.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez