Jump or Stay the Course

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 16, 2014
Since you DD doesn't listen to HC at least she's not getting the negative reinforcement. :)

I would stay and find a private coach that can work with my DD. Her practices are similar to what you describing. With lot of drills working on various situations in the infield. Very little if any on correct out fielding. I never thought of it but, maybe thats how a lot practices are run.

If you have the spare money I would stick it out and find a good private coach she can respect. Somebody that has made it to the next level.

W

Oct 24, 2012
It does no good to go to to a private coach to go back to your actual coach and get conflicting information. If your coach is a dud, its time to find a new coach, new team or say something. Maybe have your DD bring it up to him/her that she'd like to stay after and work on blah blah blah. Maybe she can express that she doesnt feel natural out there. Or something like that.. Makes it seem like its his idea.

I dont know, just thinking outloud - but if you're not happy with the coach, stewing on it is the worst thing to do.

Jan 16, 2014
Just be sure that if you jump ship that the new HC is better. I would go watch the teams that your considering practice. Bring your DD to watch with you. You don't want be that creepy old guy sitting by himself. :)

W

Jun 24, 2013
It sounds like you are ready to jump ship already. IDK but DD has stopped listening to a few of her coaches, she has been around them a long time and she thinks she is smarter than them in some cases. The joy of raising a young girl.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I usually say to leave, but I wouldn't in this case. You can run into some really bad coaches, out there. I think that your teen is pretty typical.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Like I said before, we are a very tight knit group. DD is best friends with the HC's daughter, they have a lot of classes together, they play rec together, and they spend a lot of their non-softball time together as well.

To me, this is a huge factor, and one that is hard to replicate. If you are sure that another team will provide better instruction and will be a good fit for your DD, then maybe it is worth considering. I just think it will be difficult to improve the atmosphere, based on your comments.

Otherwise, I would suggest talking with the coach (you stated he is a friend). Mention that you are considering hiring a private instructor to work with your daughter on the side. We have several girls on our team that have private hitting or pitching instructors. As we are doing drills with them, if one mentions that they do it a different way with their instructor, we let them use that way. In many cases, I learned something myself in the process. I am not ashamed by that... We were lucky in that we have a neighbor that is 4-5 years older than my DD. She has played softball for years and my DD looks up to her. She would often stop over and play catch with DD, giving her pointers along the way. My DD always had a huge smile on her face whenever this happened :)

Oct 10, 2011
It sounds like to me you should stay especially if you are getting help with the outside practices. We stayed with our team just because the girls are such a close knit group and the AC is awesome. At least you like your HC:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole