Juco vs. D1 pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
A question I was asked recently was "Can a successful JuCo pitcher be competeitive at the D1 level". My response to him was probably not but it would depend on the pitchers' ability to step it up. I would like to hear from the other members and their opinions.

Oct 22, 2009
Yes.

D1 colleges do pick up JUCO players to fill in needed areas. Freshman pitchers they draft, get hurt, pregnant, quit, get married, fail, get thrown out for violations(drugs/alcohol, etc). Good JUCO pitchers show they have already been successful combining higher education and athletics and are generally a safe bet.

When my own DD was looking into the schools she wanted to attend, her choice said they wanted her, but had too many pitchers at the time. She asked them if she enrolled locally as a JUCO, would they accept her after her freshman year. They said they thought that would be awesome, but luckily her coach called her just a few weeks later after finding out one of the pitchers was pregnant.

I remember a pitcher during the college world series a couple of years ago and I'm banging my head because I cannot remember her name or team. But the announcer said she came from a JUCO, she did a fantastic job during that tournament.

Jul 14, 2008
Now that you've answered your own question (I'm assuming your have 2 login names and you forgot to switch accounts), the answer is of course, yes.......Very many talented athletes don't have the grades or can't pass the SAT to get into a D1 school. So they do 1 year at JC and then move to a 4 year school............

Infact in my 20 years, I've had 3 who had to take this route........

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Tojo, you're wrong. My DD was all-area juco, pitched in two NJCAA championship tournaments, and then played D1 and was all-conference D1.

There is a little bit more to the story though...

My DD played against a lot of Arizona and Southern California jucos. She came back to the midwest to play D1 ball, got on a mid-tier D1 team, and, not surprisingly, the level of softball played by many of the D1 teams was not as good as the jucos she played against.

She really learned how to play softball playing in juco. It is a whole different level in Arizona and California. When she came back to the midwest, it was like going from "A" ball to "B" ball, even though she went from juco to D1 ball.

That is why I'm so cynical about the polls. California softball is light years ahead of the rest of the country.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
Sluggers, so you are saying she was D1 and decided to go JuCo and did not have to step up her game at the D1 level because the level of play on the West Coast. Boardmember, I know the names are similar but there is a difference. If only 3 pitchers out of twenty years went D1 then it would be considered rare. Were the 3 pitchers held back because of grades?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
Boardmember, I know the names are similar but there is a difference. If only 3 pitchers out of twenty years went D1 then it would be considered rare. Were the 3 pitchers held back because of grades?

How ironic is the "post count"........

Anyway, 2 didn't have the grades, one didn't/couldn't pass the SAT minumum......FYI, these three are the ONLY pitchers who I coached that went on to college that played JUCO.......The rest went 4 year........

Basicly I was just throwing you a curve. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your original question had to do with talent......

What I was trying to do was open your eyes to the fact that going D1 from JUCO isn't always simply a talent issue. Sometimes there are other circustances involved that can cause/allow that to happen.....

Just ask Crystal Bustos.........;)

Jan 27, 2010
BoardMember, I am quite aware of student/athletes not having the grades and other circumstances that prevent from attending certain schools. When I said" the ability to step it up'", I've seen many pitchers reach their potential in the latter years after entering college. The question was about talent of the JuCo players and their abilities. Trout from the Univ. of Georgia is a good example of a JuCo player playing at the next level. Bustos is also an example but she was not a pitcher which the original question was directed. Would you agree that being successful at the JuCo level does not mean you can be successful at the D1 level ?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
Would you agree that being successful at the JuCo level does not mean you can be successful at the D1 level ?

Yes, I would agree that pitching at the JUCO level does not AUTOMATICALLY mean you can pitch at the D1 level.......Absolutely.......

A pitcher can "step her game" at the JUCO level and be recruited by a D1 coach.......Happens all the time.........Infact, I'd say that most pitchers who do "step it up" at the JUCO level will/can be recruited by D1 coaches. And if the JUCO coach is in it for the right reasons......He/She will facilitate that action by contacting coaches for his/her pitcher......

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413