Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The main advantage, in my mind, at least is leaping does allow you to release closer than if you dragged. That said I am not convinced that a light drag takes much away from the actual landing spot. Somebody needs to compare landing spot for pitches with and without a leap for a pitcher who only leaps occasionally. I think Alexander last year only leaped occasionally, right?
Yes visually as a pitcher leaping can change the timing of watching the pitcher to release point.
But that is something you learn rather quickly hitting skills.

Imagine the more pitchers that would do that the more batters would be accustomed to it.

There were some pitchers that flew off the mound years ago and it could be more dramatic than mechanics than those not doing that.
Also pitchers that would land to the side dramatically.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes visually as a pitcher leaping can change the timing of watching the pitcher to release point.
But that is something you learn rather quickly hitting skills.

Imagine the more pitchers that would do that the more batters would be accustomed to it.

There were some pitchers that flew off the mound years ago and it could be more dramatic than mechanics than those not doing that.
Also pitchers that would land to the side dramatically.
I was talking purely in terms of reaction time.

Jun 8, 2016
If I get this right. Jay is saying there is no big advantage from leaping compared to a pitcher trying to keep their toe down? He should try it.
I don’t know much about pitching mechanics so outside of how far you can get out, is there something else that gets compromised when you drag?

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Get over the leaping already. I have seen multiple college games and homeruns are hit 50ft or more over the fence! It's definitely an offensive game and advantage right now.

Apr 8, 2019
I don’t know much about pitching mechanics so outside of how far you can get out, is there something else that gets compromised when you drag?
You're going to have drag because you are trying to keep some portion of your foot on the ground. There is resistance. There is no way possible that it doesn't slow you down compared to no foot on the ground. More resistance less power.

Jun 8, 2016
You're going to have drag because you are trying to keep some portion of your foot on the ground. There is resistance. There is no way possible that it doesn't slow you down compared to no foot on the ground. More resistance less power.
How much of the pitch velocity is due to the velocity of your body (which is what is seemingly, at least on the surface, slowed down due to the drag) vs the arm circle? 15-20%? More? Less? Also does dragging cause one to have less arm circle velocity? If so, why? Genuinely curious, not trying to start trouble 😀

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
try this. Do a broad jump without using your arms. Then try and do one with a toe drag. I guarantee you the comparison will not even come close if you used your arms and both feet off the ground.

Jun 8, 2016
try this. Do a broad jump without using your arms. Then try and do one with a toe drag. I guarantee you the comparison will not even come close if you used your arms and both feet off the ground.
So is that you saying the arm circle velocity is severely compromised by having to drag? The pitch velocity has two components, linear velocity of the body and linear velocity due to the arm rotation, add them together and you get the pitch velocity out of the hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi