Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2019
Hard to tell from your picture, but her hands are separated, and she is not that far off the pitchers plate. See below for side view, where she is CLEARLY airborne, but hands are separate. The "Hesitation" or "Hitch" in the motion, is what gives the crow hop away. In the NFHS video, the man is basically starting his arm circle after landing (establishing a second impetus), Jordan's motion is continuous, with no hitch or pause. She leaps, but not a crow hop.
View attachment 25251
She was airborne and landed on the pivot foot. How could anyone land on the pivot foot first without it bearing weight? It is just impossible. By the definition, bearing weight -> replant -> crow hop

May 16, 2016
She was airborne and landed on the pivot foot. How could anyone land on the pivot foot first without it bearing weight? It is just impossible. By the definition, bearing weight -> replant -> crow hop
Airborne = leaping. I think you should ask, why do they call it a "Pivot" foot?

Jun 8, 2016
This! Where were all the "Leaping" haters during the 2021 Women's College World Series? I went to the JMU website during the WCWS, and on their home page, they had a high definition pic of Alexander in mid pitch a solid 3" off the ground.
I asked this question at the beginning of this thread and I was told she was the Jeffrey Dahmer of leapers hence all the attention 🤷🏽‍♂️

Jul 16, 2019
Which rule book are you referring to? NCAA, ASA, USA, NFHS? I think you may be conflating different rule sets.
NCAA

10.5.5 The pitcher is not allowed to hop or drag to a replant (crowhop), gain a second starting point and push off her pivot foot. Once having lost contact with the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may trail on the ground but may not bear weight again until the pitch is released.

May 16, 2016
NCAA

10.5.5 The pitcher is not allowed to hop or drag to a replant (crowhop), gain a second starting point and push off her pivot foot. Once having lost contact with the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may trail on the ground but may not bear weight again until the pitch is released.
Ahh... yes, the Barnhill rule. Bearing weight has nothing to do with crowhop. This was added specifically because Barnhill was not crow hopping, but they wanted to call her illegal anyway.

This is the crow hop language "not allowed to hop or drag to a replant (crowhop), gain a second starting point and push off her pivot foot". Seems most people do not get past "replant" in this sentence. It's the second starting point and push that make it a crow hop, which is consistent with the NFHS training video I posted earlier in thread.

ASA Definition - "A crow hop is defined as the act of a pitcher who steps, hops, or drags off the. Front of the pitcher's plate, replants the pivot foot, establishing a second impetus. (or starting point), pushes off from the newly-established starting point and. and completes the delivery."

Back to bearing weight... how much weight? If your foot is in contact with the ground, it is "bearing weight", maybe not a lot of weight, but... Anyway, talk about an unenforceable rule.

Jul 16, 2019
Ahh... yes, the Barnhill rule. Bearing weight has nothing to do with crowhop. This was added specifically because Barnhill was not crow hopping, but they wanted to call her illegal anyway.

This is the crow hop language "not allowed to hop or drag to a replant (crowhop), gain a second starting point and push off her pivot foot". Seems most people do not get past "replant" in this sentence. It's the second starting point and push that make it a crow hop, which is consistent with the NFHS training video I posted earlier in thread.

Back to bearing weight... how much weight? If your foot is in contact with the ground, it is "bearing weight", maybe not a lot of weight, but... Anyway, talk about an unenforceable rule.
Well, if you think Barnhill did NOT crow hop.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06