Jealous of DDs playing ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is injured and has not able to participate in softball for a couple months now. She asks almost every day if we can go out and practice, I need to tell her no. She is chomping at the bit to get going.

She works harder at her game than anyone on our Team, which does not say much, and was the best player on the Team last year. When the doctor clears her to play again I am interested how she stacks up against the other players without any practice under her belt. Talent vs. Practice discussion.

She knows she will eventually catch-up but is worried she will be letting the Team down because she is not 100% ready. She is a good kid and does not care about her individual accomplishments. She does not know, or care, she is the best player on the Team. I keep telling her to just relax, as long as you hustle and do your best everything else will take care of itself. Same thing I tell her if she is practicing and is at 100%.

Sorry for the rant, I am chomping at the bit for her to start participating too. :)

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Don't know what her injury is. Could she not find some softball related drill to work on that completely avoids her injury? You know like working on footwork if it is an arm injury. Maybe work on throwing if it is a leg injury? Would help keep her spirits up and probably make the time go by quicker. Either way, good luck with her recovery.

Jul 26, 2010
Try doing other stuff?

When my daughter was injured last year, we did a lot of handgun, rifle, and archery shooting. She still likes trap shooting and the archery shoots (if you've never done them, it's like golf mixed in with hiking and archery through the redwoods/creeks/hills). I tell myself it'll help with pitching but I don't believe it, nor do I care, we have a good time doing it together.

It really doesn't matter what you do, but if she has that kind of work ethic and talent then it wouldn't matter what she applies it to.

-W

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
What's your DD's injury?

I feel your "pain". DD received a concussion in mid January, still has headaches, problems with balance and coordination and has not been cleared to play sports or music. My wife thinks she's milking it because she's lazy and enjoys doing nothing (wife had similar reaction when I was home recovering from minor surgery a few yers ago). anyhow- on Sunday morning I took her and DD#2 to do some long tee work. She is a power hitter and started out hitting very poorly but by the end she had hit the 275 ft fence more than a few times. It didn't help her headache but it made her feel good about playing again.

Another coach told me about accupuncture curing his DD's cluster migraines so I'm going to talk to someone to see if that can help her recovery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck