java

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Me, your dd in the first video was leaving her arm behind. The idea is to have the glove arm and pitching arm to go out together. I like what Java says, but disagree with the need of a backswing. My dd went from having a backswing to working with Hillhouse and getting rid of it. It really is nothing more then a style IMO. Sorry Java I have to disagree, but your a great PC and a great poster in DFP. I think it really boils down to the student.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
My dd went from having a backswing to working with Hillhouse and getting rid of it. It really is nothing more then a style IMO. Sorry Java I have to disagree, but your a great PC and a great poster in DFP. I think it really boils down to the student.

I don't think we disagree on this too much... but why do you only see it as a style?

I have noticed that I get more drive out of pitchers with one... especially in the before and after videos of those that single-pumped. It's like sprinting without taking your arms back... sorta limiting.

I do recall a thread where people were talking about hiding the ball from the batter... to me... that's a myth. I do think it is style, but a backswing does have value (to me) in instructing fundamentals... and I completely prefer it.

But... in this drill, it is... because it really helps reinforce one of the main points of overlap. Next time you're out this way... I'd really like to see you guys. Perhaps we can throw a few pitches together... and change styles! ;) J/K

Sorry I missed you at Aunt Rosie's! Thanks for the compliment! Best, ~JS

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
I do recall a thread where people were talking about hiding the ball from the batter... to me... that's a myth. I do think it is style, but a backswing does have value (to me) in instructing fundamentals... and I completely prefer it.

DD prefers a backswing, but at a recent D1 camp, the HC was talking about hiding the ball, as much from the 3rd base coach as from the batter. He said some 3rd base coaches would pick pitches and with verbal ques relay the pitch to the batter. Personally, I have tried picking DDs pitches while catching her by looking at her grip and I have not been successful. I am sure there are a few that can do it, but I do think it is pretty hard to do.

Oct 9, 2013
Java.. i was reading the drive mechanics thread and I'm kind of fuzzy on the overlap concept. Can you explain a bit more?

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Here's a video on it...

Go to the 4:00 minute mark... and this will give you a nice illustrated example. It will also show you a pitcher that normally does not use a backswing, easily doing so in this drill... as it IS REQUIRED in the drill. ;)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
OILF, I think you're more about being anti-Javasource than about seeking good pitching mechanics.

While I tend to like a backswing, I haven't "forced" it on anyone. While Javasource may advocate using a backswing, I don't think he's "forced" any of his students to use one.

Care to describe what your thoughts on drive mechanics are?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You don't need a backswing and if the pitcher does not, she should not be forced to do one for a drill or by the PC due to timing difference and often, load difference. The showcase I went to--the top pitcher gunned at 58--no backswing, no load on the back foot, no overlap. I'd leave her alone as the college coaches were fussing over her.

Is this the part of the instruction where the PC forces the pitcher to take the style he or she espouses, per JJ thread? OR is it OK because it goes with the board's general view that pitchers should have backswings. Just asking.

So if she is bringing the heat at 58mph why would experimenting with a back swing be a bad idea? Does a few coaches "fussing" over her mean that the learning is over?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
I don't think we disagree on this too much... but why do you only see it as a style?

I have noticed that I get more drive out of pitchers with one... especially in the before and after videos of those that single-pumped. It's like sprinting without taking your arms back... sorta limiting.

But... in this drill, it is... because it really helps reinforce one of the main points of overlap. Next time you're out this way... I'd really like to see you guys. Perhaps we can throw a few pitches together... and change styles! ;) J/K

Sorry I missed you at Aunt Rosie's! Thanks for the compliment! Best, ~JS
Yes, would love to meet you. Really in a way my dd does have some what of a backswing. But it is like rocking the baby, just the glove and pitching hand go back and out together. It is one of those things that a player feels and likes it. Hillhouse never told dd that she had to stop the backswing, dd tried it with out the backswing and it just stayed with her. I also it could have to do with her watching the best men's pitcher in the world and seeing how fast the ball comes in. Once she seen Adam Folkard pitch, she was hooked.:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles