It's the little things

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
One thing I've learned over my years of playing and onto coaching is to watch for the little things that can make a big difference. I'd like to share what I saw yesterday at a college preseason tournament.

1)It was late in the day and only had 2 teams left to finish their games. ( non overall winner type tourney ) The underdog team got ahead early in the game on the starting pitcher, 7 runs by the 5th inning. ( 7-5 score ) The favored team brought in a LHP as relief. She had a good backdoor curve and was using it correctly along with a set-up outside fastball that looked very much identicle...........minus the break. She'd throw the FB a good 6 inches off the black, and mix her backdoor curve in to catch the corner. It was pretty tough to distinguish the 2 by watching her.

But here's the thing, the sun was setting behind the catcher. The catcher's shadow was present infront of the plate. Every time the outside FB was called the catcher would set up outside quickly during the delivery. All a batter had to do was watch the catcher's shadow and know to lay off that "ball". Anyone at the college level should know to use "shadows" as cues, and not just in the batter's box.

2)Same game and it's now the 6th inning, still 7-5. Defense has 2 outs and the offense has runners on 1st n 3rd. BIG ole girl walking up to hit. I lean to the guy next to me and bet him a coke from the concessions........that they walk her. He agreed loading the bases would be a nice defensive move, but he was missing the real point. This girl had been at a tournament all day and had no dirt no dust on her uniform, where everyone else's were filthy. That's a dead indicator that she is playing college ball for one thing and one thing only...............her bat. The coach did what I would not have, tried to strike her out. She BOMBED a 250' 3 run homer, and won the game after the next inning 7-8. If he would have just walked her, chances are you'd get that 3rd out before they scored 3 "running runs".

Always look for the smallest details, most of the time they are right under our noses.

Anyone else have any "cues" they look for during games?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just another little thing - when the sun is at the catcher's back, hand-puppet shadows are effective at distracting batters.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Two things that came to me immediately that I notice:
1. Watch for a batter to give a "verification" sign (like tapping the helmet or nodding) to the 3B coach when a signal is on. Most of the time the batter doesn't do anything when getting dummy signs, but when something's on, the batter usually gives it away somehow.
2. The changeup signal from the catcher to the pitcher is usually a fist from the catcher. Look for the muscles on the top of the forearm to "bulge" out a little when giving the sign. As a coach, you can pick it and relay it to a hitter. (Try it where you're sitting - you'll see what I mean.)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Two things that came to me immediately that I notice:
1. Watch for a batter to give a "verification" sign (like tapping the helmet or nodding) to the 3B coach when a signal is on. Most of the time the batter doesn't do anything when getting dummy signs, but when something's on, the batter usually gives it away somehow.
2. The changeup signal from the catcher to the pitcher is usually a fist from the catcher. Look for the muscles on the top of the forearm to "bulge" out a little when giving the sign. As a coach, you can pick it and relay it to a hitter. (Try it where you're sitting - you'll see what I mean.)

Yep, good stuff.

I've seen "old school" baseball coaches in fastpitch still have the fingers for pitch, but have the catcher slap the thigh for inside/outside. Those I have my batters cut the eyes back to watch the indicator.

One thing I've learned recently, is its not nearly as fun watching games from the stands. :( I envy you guys/gals still active in the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck