Its High School Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Also, nobody should feel sorry for me. Pattar isn't the only one here with anger issues.
I only threw my water bottle, not my fist :p

Granted, when I was in HS I broke two fingers on someone's teeth during a YMCA pickup basketball game two weeks before baseball season..I still have his tooth mark scar on my finger. Ruined my budding hand model career...

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I only threw my water bottle, not my fist :p

Granted, when I was in HS I broke two fingers on someone's teeth during a YMCA pickup basketball game two weeks before baseball season..I still have his tooth mark scar on my finger. Ruined my budding hand model career...

I was squeezing my phone in my hand, ready to chuck it against the wall, when I had a moment of clarity and thought better of it. Instead I punched the side of a metal cabinet. The problem was I hit right where a shelf inside sits, learned there's a such thing as a boxer's fracture.

And, to be clear, this was not in front of (or caused by) any kids. And I got to use the injury to teach about making dumb choices. Today I even held a team meeting/optional practice the day of my surgery to show them how bad some of their excuses for missing actually are.

Making the best of a bad situation, I guess.

Jun 8, 2016
I was squeezing my phone in my hand, ready to chuck it against the wall, when I had a moment of clarity and thought better of it. Instead I punched the side of a metal cabinet. The problem was I hit right where a shelf inside sits, learned there's a such thing as a boxer's fracture.

And, to be clear, this was not in front of (or caused by) any kids. And I got to use the injury to teach about making dumb choices. Today I even held a team meeting/optional practice the day of my surgery to show them how bad some of their excuses for missing actually are.

Making the best of a bad situation, I guess.
A broken hand is certainly cheaper than a broken phone. May I suggest you have a water bottle/hat nearby next? That seems like a good compromise..😂

Jul 14, 2018
Nice to hear about some of the good things coaches are doing at the HS level. A snapshot from DD’s tryouts yesterday:

DD gets put in a BP group with the team’s best hitter. She’s a total beast, number three hitter on one of the best 18U TB teams in the region (we’re lucky to have her).

Coach calls DD and blue-chipper over after their round and says, “You both have a huge uppercut in your swing. Your bat path should go from your shoulder to your waist. We’re trying to hit ground balls.”

DD told this story sheepishly, as she knows what her response should be. But she couldn’t even muster a ‘yes, coach.’ She just stood there with her mouth agape.

As the thread title says, it’s HS ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
Nice to hear about some of the good things coaches are doing at the HS level. A snapshot from DD’s tryouts yesterday:

DD gets put in a BP group with the team’s best hitter. She’s a total beast, number three hitter on one of the best 18U TB teams in the region (we’re lucky to have her).

Coach calls DD and blue-chipper over after their round and says, “You both have a huge uppercut in your swing. Your bat path should go from your shoulder to your waist. We’re trying to hit ground balls.”

DD told this story sheepishly, as she knows what her response should be. But she couldn’t even muster a ‘yes, coach.’ She just stood there with her mouth agape.

Dumb…But alas just learn the phrase yes coach I will try. She’s not lying as she is going to try to not let him screw up her swing lol

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

What's wild about these stories is they're never followed up with a post about how the blue-chipper got benched for going 3-3 with a double and two homers. If these coaches want players to hit grounders, shouldn't they be upset when all these line drives are being hit in games? How do these coaches not see that they're asking for something they very obviously don't really want.

Oct 10, 2018
Coach calls DD and blue-chipper over after their round and says, “You both have a huge uppercut in your swing. Your bat path should go from your shoulder to your waist. We’re trying to hit ground balls.” (emphasis added)
Was this a drill where the girls were specifically asked to hit grounders or did the coach just expect all hit balls to be grounders (weird, but I've heard stranger). If the former, maybe the coach looking for bat-control? She wanted to see if the girls could hit to a spot when asked to? IDK, just a thought.

Jul 14, 2018
Was this a drill where the girls were specifically asked to hit grounders or did the coach just expect all hit balls to be grounders (weird, but I've heard stranger). If the former, maybe the coach looking for bat-control? She wanted to see if the girls could hit to a spot when asked to? IDK, just a thought.

Funny, that was my reaction too. I have no interest in my daughter thinking her coach doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I responded to this story by asking “Were you supposed to be hitting ground balls?”

Alas, no. They were just hitting away for the coach to evaluate their swings.

Jun 20, 2015
grounders are better than weak pop outs. (sarcasm). But smashing the ball hard is key. Whether, that's a worm burner, liner or launched HR, highest possible exit speed will equate to more hits and XBH.

Unless both of players mentioned run like deer, smile say "yes coach" and keep hitting missiles all over the field.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
And then there's the other end of the spectrum. I will be assisting at a small local high school, total enrollment about 400 kids. My understanding is that we will have 18-20 kids for varsity, no cuts allowed. At least 5 of the girls will have zero softball experience, not even rec.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma