It's Always Something...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
DD has tryouts on Sunday for a team she was invited to try out for. Pitching since March has been steadily improving. Last weekend in October, she suffered an injury and didn't pitch for two weeks. After one practice, pitched in a tournament. Not a great tournament for her. She suddenly was stepping way left of the power line so her control suffered - So far left that it was borderline illegal pitch. Went to the emergency lesson with her pc. Pitched this past weekend in a tournament and did great. So all has been good for the last 4 weeks until last night. Suddenly she is now crossing the power line to the right so she is missing to the inside pretty regularly. Uggg...have only two opportunities to work on fixing it before the tryout on Sunday.

Just wanted to vent because it seems like there is always something to work on even when you think they already have something dialed in.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I agree with the concept of the power line but only when training or learning a new pitch... instead, have your dd focus on "leaping into the mitt". Just make sure the catcher is setting up the location as the pitcher is starting to load. This will ensure the mechanics of the circle don't change from pitch to pitch

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think you are expecting a little too much from a new pitcher. Just lower your expectations a little. :) Are you practicing using a pitching rubber and a power line?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Just wanted to vent because it seems like there is always something to work on even when you think they already have something dialed in.

JNew0872,

Better keep that vent open ;) There is always something to work on, forever. DD has been pitching for 6 years (she started late compared to most) and the work is constant. Sometimes it is something new to work on, sometimes there is something that used to work and needs to be fixed, sometimes it is all of the above.

It's a very good thing that DD LOVES to pitch and enjoys our workouts :)

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm guessing the answer to this is no, because she has now stepped in both directions, but do you notice any correlation between her landing position and her injury? Is it possible she's favoring something to avoid hurting herself?

In general, I find that focusing on where the foot lands is hard for most pitchers. Better to focus on a good reach coming up the front side of the circle: as she pushes off the rubber, the stride foot and both hands should reach for her target. If this is done correctly, the landing position usually settles itself.

Dec 7, 2011
Feel yer pain JNew.

When my DD goes to a camp/exposure/tourney and struggles a bit it seems to always be around consistency with staying open - compared to your mention of not stepping down the powerline.

When DD & reflect on any challenge with control we almost always relate it back to a span of lesser practice. Pitching = reps reps reps

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
My DD got asked to join a TB team a couple months ago that replaces last years TB State Champs that are moving up to 12U. Some of my DD teammates have sisters on that team so I got to catch their top pitcher last week who their coach said was the best 10U in the state last year. I was surprised by so many things that were inconsistent between each pitch, though she was still very impressive. Almost all of the same small things that my daughter tends to do. I came away from the experience that young pitchers are not robots every pitch is not perfect and it's 2 steps forward and one back then repeat. Relax and let her do her thing when shes on the field, she might surprise you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission