It Finally Happened...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
Played indoor scrimmages at a local JUCO this weekend. In between games one of the parents approached me about playing time and why her DD's (yes she has 2 kids on the team), sat the beginning of the first game (each girl played 3 of the 6 innings), and why one was supposed to sit to start the next. Then she started complaining about other things like her daughter losing her glove and how it was my fault, and that I lied about playing time and that our two pickups in the winter would not affect the girls who have been with the team since early fall.

So I proceed to reminder her that 1- her girls were both in the lineup (batted all 11 for the games), and that her girls did get playing time the first game, and would get playing time the second. To which she says, "that isn't good enough". 2- She accused my DD of stealing her older DD's glove at our last practice (my DD has the same style glove), so I had the girls all bring their gloves out to make sure no one had grabbed the wrong glove, and no one had it. 3- she starts yelling she wants sponsorship money back that she acquired because our team banner was never made. So I had to remind her that her sponsorship money paid for her kids fall ball and that they were all told the banner would be ready by the spring tournamnets because we didn't want to have a seperate banner for spring and fall. 4- I kept telling her that this isn't the time or place for this conversation and she kept going on, didn't even give me a chance to remind her she signed a parent contract which includes a 24 hour policy for complaints, issues or anything team related. 5- that the girls had to earn starting positions and that the 2 new girls had yet to play on the field with our team and we wanted to see what they could do as a part of the unit. So then she starts getting even more flip with me. So I put my foot down, told her to take her 2 DDs and leave. That it wasn't that I didn't want the girls but that they needed to go.

She creates a huge scene, even pulling my one assistant aside pleading her case to him hoping he would say that I was wrong and they could stay. So this parent spends all of that evening messaging my AC, and messaging parents on my team trying to get them to side with her and trying to get girls on my team to leave because of what happened. My AC calls me and tells me whats going on and asks me again what happend. So the AC calls her and tells her he had no say at all what happens and that he backs me 100% and that she needs to call me. So she calls me and when she didn't like what I had to say she goes off again. She begged me not to let her girls go that this could be worked out and I told her again, its not the girls, its the parent. That I could not let a parent dictate the team like this and I could not have a parent verbally assault me in the middle of games, and that if I let them back it would set a bad precident.

So my roster goes from 11 to 9, but I already have a few leads on some players. Just needed to vent about the whole thing. I'm not one to remove girls from a team but, the parent presented such an issue that I had to. I really feel bad for the players in this situation.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have been fortunate to not have this level of parental drama on any of my DD teams, knock on wood, but there are a couple of good players we have 'cut' in the past because we knew the parents would be a problem. Unless one of her kids is a 65 MPH flame thrower, do yourself a favor and "cut bait" now! At least have a talk with the mother, put her on "double secret" probation, and tell her that is her one and only warning.....

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Vent away. I do not mind players and parents complaining, well I do but there is a time and a place. Once your integrity is brought into question time to cut ties quickly with the family.

Does your DD have a nice bat, I think she stole it from my DD can I have it back?

If this was the first time the parent had ever complained, the only thing I would probably have done is at some point just walked away and said "we can talk tomorrow". We all know the 24 hour rule is for parents but not a bad idea for coaches as well, we should not make decisions in haste either. Given the attitude probably would have cut the parents anyway but always a better idea to do it after a night of rest.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I would have spent a little less time looking for the missing glove, and called out an APB on the mom's meds. Obviously she has lost them.

I could deal with a few minutes of an outburst. But then spending the evening calling/messaging my AC's and other parents trying to disrupt the whole team. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

I hate it for the girls, but I personally don't want parents like that involved in or around the team. All it takes is one set of bad parents and it spreads like a plague. I've seen in too many times.

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
No this def was not the first issue with this parent.

If this was the first time the parent had ever complained, the only thing I would probably have done is at some point just walked away and said "we can talk tomorrow". We all know the 24 hour rule is for parents but not a bad idea for coaches as well, we should not make decisions in haste either. Given the attitude probably would have cut the parents anyway but always a better idea to do it after a night of rest.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I absolutely agree with cutting the girls. This sucks for the kids, but its like cancer, we have to cut it out before it spreads. The fact the mom was calling other parents is enough reason for me, not to mention the scene she caused on the diamond. Remember, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Feb 3, 2011
I would have refused to engage in any conversation on game day and would have asked the parent to leave the facility. If she elected to take her daughters with her, that would be her choice.

She'd be invited to discuss matters the following day, but based on what you stated, I would've had to remove the parent from our team. With this sort of drama in February, the team most likely would not make it to May in good shape.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
This makes me feal proud, I have never bashed a coach about playing time or within 24 hours. I am a good sb parent...by these standards.

Tough one. The parent was wrong in how they handled it, but giving her half a dozen warnings to stop and her continuing left you with only one way to end the argument-telling her to leave. I think SB should be about the kids, but if she can't calm down and apologize she won't be happy no matter what you do.

Even if you let the girls stay, 1) she violated the parent code; 2) playing time isn't likely change enough to make her happy in the future, and 3) her girls will be affected by the uneasiness and her likely attitude in private.

Maybe it's best they leave now so you can coach the the girls who are supported.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott