Is using velocity a valid way to measure a pitcher's fatigue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
Now that’s a really interesting theory. Unfortunately, making that measurement with any kind of accuracy is not something a high percentage of teams can do. :(

If I had to rank the things that indicate fatigue, I think I’d agree that control is the 1st to suffer,

Yea, I guess I made it sound like there should be some measurment of the batted balls.
I really meant two or three line drives or rockets on the ground in an inning is a pretty good indicator of fatigue setting in.

No radar gun needed :D

Sep 30, 2013
Yea, I guess I made it sound like there should be some measurment of the batted balls.
I really meant two or three line drives or rockets on the ground in an inning is a pretty good indicator of fatigue setting in.

No radar gun needed :D

Well, I certainly do agree that seeing the ball coming off the bat suddenly act as though it had a Saturn V booster strapped to it certainly gives reason to think something might be up, but I wonder how often that happens in reality as opposed to perception. The fact is, other than hit(f/x) for the ML, I don’t know of any venue that actually measures ball velocity off the bat. There are some teams that do measure it, but measuring every BIP, cataloging it, then analyzing it is pretty rare.

But, that doesn’t mean there can’t be any measurement of batted balls. It just means it takes a lot more than being able to read a radar gun. That takes a great deal of skill and experience, and will always have some degree of subjectivity in it. What I mean is, what a parent might interpret as a hard hit ball and what an experienced coach interpret the same ball as will often be two different things. ;)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Well, I certainly do agree that seeing the ball coming off the bat suddenly act as though it had a Saturn V booster strapped to it certainly gives reason to think something might be up, but I wonder how often that happens in reality as opposed to perception. The fact is, other than hit(f/x) for the ML, I don’t know of any venue that actually measures ball velocity off the bat. There are some teams that do measure it, but measuring every BIP, cataloging it, then analyzing it is pretty rare.

But, that doesn’t mean there can’t be any measurement of batted balls. It just means it takes a lot more than being able to read a radar gun. That takes a great deal of skill and experience, and will always have some degree of subjectivity in it. What I mean is, what a parent might interpret as a hard hit ball and what an experienced coach interpret the same ball as will often be two different things. ;)

Is a fly ball to the warning track in dead center a hard hit ball or just another out?

Sep 30, 2013
Is a fly ball to the warning track in dead center a hard hit ball or just another out?

Without knowing anything else, I’d say it had to be hit pretty hard in order to get it to go that far in the air. The problem is, there is more than one component to making the determination than just distance. I’d prefer ball velocity off the bat were used to determine how “hard” a ball was hit, rather than the trajectory it takes coming off the bat. In the future that may be simple to do, but for right now its pretty much impossible at the amateur level.

I don’t track whether a ball was hit hard, but I do track trajectories, i.e. Pop, Fly, Line Drive, Grounder. The trouble is, a ball on any trajectory can be hit weakly, hard, or anything in between.

Mar 28, 2013
In a one word answer is no. As long as she is spinning the ball hard if the mph drops a little that most likely means the ball is breaking harder. Does not mean she is starting to wear out.If velocity is your most important factor in being effective you'll be riding the pine after one rotation anyway against a team of good hitters. Never really understood the guy behind the plate with the gun writing down every pitch.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2010
The best way I've found to tell if a pitcher is gassed (if not noticeable with the naked eye) is to talk to the catcher. They're the 1st to know

Jan 23, 2009

If it never got more than 10 feet off the ground, yes!
If it went up 80 feet, I'll see another.
If its the third straight batter to just miss a bomb, I'll get someone warming.:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06