Is this the key to the MLB hitting "process"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Hi Chas,

Getting off the back leg can be accomplished a couple of different ways.

There is pure linear momentum as Miranda is illustrating and there is using your back muscles to create stretch/resistance that springs the hips open when the resistance is gone.

Either way - Miranda has shown a serious amount of improvement between the 2 clips - now she just needs to harness all of that linear momentum and swing it in a phone booth.

DMasterson, I'm new the the site myself, so I don't know the etiquette here yet or who knows what. I'm excited to be here.
I mostly work with baseball players but the softball girls I do with with have turned the corner so to say away from the 'squish the bug' type of move you're describing.
Does this look like what you're talking about?

going from this:
Miranda Davis (Softball) - YouTube
to this:
Miranda Davis (Softball) - YouTube

I'm thinking the techincal advantage to the forward movement and then into a 'rotational' move like you say is huge. Getting off the back leg allows the hitter to really get her hips cleared and complete her full turn.

Chas Pippitt

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Hi Chas,

Getting off the back leg can be accomplished a couple of different ways.

There is pure linear momentum as Miranda is illustrating and there is using your back muscles to create stretch/resistance that springs the hips open when the resistance is gone.

Either way - Miranda has shown a serious amount of improvement between the 2 clips - now she just needs to harness all of that linear momentum and swing it in a phone booth.

Ray is right about this.

Watch how far the head travels north and south in a MLB swing. That will give you something to think about.

SL

[/B]

Ray is right about this.

Watch how far the head travels north and south in a MLB swing. That will give you something to think about.

SL

In lots of my research, Longoria, bautista, cano...all have movement in the head downward and forward in their pre swing move.

I do have a question: Why are baseball/softball coaches so hung up on head movement before the actual swing? Think about it: If NBA Basketball players can move like they do, spin, stop, jump 3 feet in the air, then shoot a 24 footer...why cant baseball/softball players relax forward in a move before the front foot hits? NFL WR's catch moving balls all the time while their running, jumping and avoiding monsters trying to crush them...

Not saying Miranda's swing is perfect, but I am interested in all the responses. PS, she moves less now, that's an old clip. It's a calmer move and she completes her turn beautifully with her belly button to the SS almost always. Very much like Bautista (my favorite hitter).

Cano is also moving 'down and forward' here
Baseball Hitting Rebellion Blog (Baseball) - YouTube

Chas Pippitt

R

RayR

I am not against head movement - but in this clip her head and her hands are moving forward at the same time for a few frames - typically once the hands start moving forward the head has stopped and even in some swings moves back a little.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
As long as her movement doesn't hinder her ability to adjust for off-speed all should be fine. If not time to make changes.

Sep 17, 2009
Chas, thanks for posting your hitter and the discussion. That's a LOT of momentum in the swing you posted. Now you say she's "calmer" in her move out. Was there a reason you introduced the momentum in the first place, ie, for feel purposes re: weight shift, etc? Just curious. One problem that I see in jumping out to her front leg is that she actually rotates around her front leg rather than rear..

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
...you develop a strong power source...it takes you to a high level...then your high level opponent uses your greatest asset and turns it into your greatest disadvantage....
judo.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am not against head movement - but in this clip her head and her hands are moving forward at the same time for a few frames - typically once the hands start moving forward the head has stopped and even in some swings moves back a little.
Braun_side1.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish