Is this reasonable or is just me?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
I agree if a player is hurt then she should not play and most coaches I know would not push an injured player. However, being sore and tired from conditioning is not an injury.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
As a varsity sports athlete growing up I had to practice EXTREMELY hard despite soreness from weight room workouts. I never was injured. If you feel she is hurt I would not bring her to practice. Otherwise when she is there she needs to be prepared to go 100%. I know this is not the answer you are probably looking for but the more competitive the level of play there will be lots of aches, soreness and pains. Not going 100% because of them would mean not going 100% much of the time. Being injured does require limiting workouts and allowing healing time. Soreness not so much. And also...Ditto what GoingDeep said. Kids are always saying they are sore. It is a part of working out. Despite that I will say that pain needs to be paid attention to. However it needs to be assessed by a pro. If you as a parent are worried it is a injury then forgo practice and get to a doctor ASAP.

As a varsity sports athlete growing up I had to practice EXTREMELY hard despite soreness from weight room workouts. I never was injured. If you feel she is hurt I would not bring her to practice. Otherwise when she is there she needs to be prepared to go 100%. I know this is not the answer you are probably looking for but the more competitive the level of play there will be lots of aches, soreness and pains. Not going 100% because of them would mean not going 100% much of the time. Being injured does require limiting workouts and allowing healing time. Soreness not so much. And also...Ditto what GoingDeep said. Kids are always saying they are sore. It is a part of working out. Despite that I will say that pain needs to be paid attention to. However it needs to be assessed by a pro. If you as a parent are worried it is a injury then forgo practice and get to a doctor ASAP.

I wasn't looking for a particular answer. I was soliciting opinions and any answer is welcome.

I guess there are two trains of thought. One, is let is rest and no need to overdo it when a kid is adjusting to a new off season conditioning program. The other is to practice through the pain. I don't know if either is right, but I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to kids. By 14 years old, most kids understand their own bodies and whether they can make it through the pain or if they need to rest it. I know mine does, she plays through pain and soreness most of the time, but will speak up when she needs to rest it. She's been in the offseason for a little bit now and her body has adjusted and she doesn't come home as beat up as she did. She feels like you should feel after a hard workout.

To answer glf0845's question - I don't know if she would've made it. We pulled out of the sweepstakes. She's rolling with her current team and just made her HS fall league varisty team as a freshman. It is not the real thing, but it is open to all returning varsity junior and seniors and sophomores and freshmen have to try out for it so I consider it a good accomplishment. No sophomores made it, but five freshman did. I'll take that in conjunction with her fall travel schedule all day long.

I don't know, maybe it is me, but I always had kids take it easy when they were hurting in my coaching days. If it was chronic, then it was time to have mom and dad get them checked out by a physician or let them know that being lazy wasn't going to make it. Overworking overworked muscles seems like a good way potentially hurt a kid and that is something I did not want to be part of.

To touch GOINGDEEP's post...I agree. I probably should have talked to the coach myself since he really does not know DD that well. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I rowed crew in college - and I spent 80% of my time sore (really sore) and stiff, but pulling an oar is not pitching- my biggest concern with a DD whose muscles are sore from a new work-out regimen- is that she would compensate somewhere in her mechanics to adjust for that soreness- & to me that is a disaster waiting to happen-

While sometimes it is easier for the coach to process this information from the parent, who knows what the athlete's workout has been (and that if their DD says they are sore- they are SORE) - it does not excuse the coach for not listening and respecting what his player is telling them. A coach should always err on the side of caution.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Pitchers have always had their own rules...I agree if a pitcher's arm/shoulder is sore then they should not pitch. I just can't see my DD, who is a position player, telling her coach TB or HS that she needs to take it easy because she is sore from a work-out. They would tell her to go home...and not in the take it easy and rest way. Again, JMHO:cool:

Jun 24, 2009
Pitchers have always had their own rules...I agree if a pitcher's arm/shoulder is sore then they should not pitch. I just can't see my DD, who is a position player, telling her coach TB or HS that she needs to take it easy because she is sore from a work-out. They would tell her to go home...and not in the take it easy and rest way. Again, JMHO:cool:

I agree 100%.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
We had just the opposite happen with my DD's TB catcher. The girl is a freshman, and the HS coach called a workout for all girls not in other sports. The girl figured she needed to go and show the coach what she could do. Well, the JV coach showed up with a total of 3 girls. They did long tosses for over 30 minutes. She came to practice later that night and her arm was shot. Immediately shut her down and iced her shoulder. Three weeks later, and she is still nursing a bad arm. I think the girls need to be instructed on how to tell coaches when they are hurting. You should teach that, just like you would proper technique at the plate. Here is a good catcher who is missing game time in the fall exposure tournaments, because some JV coach thought it was a good idea to test their arms for 30 minutes. If this girl knew how to approach this situation better, she might not have injured herself. I applaud the original poster's DD. Good for her realizing she might get hurt.

Jun 15, 2011
IL
IMO, if this was a tryout, you need to give 110% to try and make the team, if practice and you already made the team, maybe HC could have let up a little bit.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
What is the deal with some coaches? It is a practice, not the championship game of a tournament. I believe any kid should take it easy on an arm or leg (or any appendage) when it has been worked through another activity. Why risk injuring a kid for a practice? He gave her some song and dance about the other girls lifting, but I saw what she did in middle school and it doesn't even compare to what she is being put through right now. Her HS coach is going to make her strong that is for sure.

Am I being sensitive here?

First of all, you always err on the side of caution as a parent - so no, you are not being sensitive. Secondly, I'm really surprised (unless I missed it in a post, which is possible) that no one questioned whether the HS even knew what the hell he (I'm assuming it's a he) was doing when he set up "his strength and conditioning" program. Who says his program is going to make your daughter strong? It may result in serious, long-term injury. Just my two cents.

I constantly tell my girls that there is a difference between soreness and pain and that they should expect soreness but absolutely TELL ME when they are in pain.

Having spent more than three years helping my wife fight with her employer and our HMO (who ended its attempts by telling my wife "all we can do now is give you Prozac to make you feel better about the pain") to recognize a legitimate work-related injury, I certainly do not want to go through that with DD and would not wish that on any other parent either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221