Is this reasonable or is just me?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DD joined a team for the fall and they've been trying to get girls on the roster to finish it out so they can play (it is a 16U and a few are playing VB). In the interim she was trying out with a 14U A team in case things didn't work out with her current team (not playing is not an option). DD would be the oldest girl and the only one in HS on the 14U team, the rest of 7th & 8th graders. So HS softball is coming up and she has been introduced to her 1st off season strength and conditioning program that her HS coach does. It has been pretty brutal in the weight room because it was not anywhere close to as intense in middle school, so her arms and shoulders have been sore and she has been wiped out. So last night her throwing arm was in rough shape and we head out to 14U practice/tryout (3rd look). I tell her to tell take it easy on the arm and to tell the coach that her arm is jacked and that she couldn't throw at 100%. I don't want her to risk any injury. I take her little brother and sister to the playground across the complex and she hustles off to practice. So she tells the coach and he tells her that it really doesn't matter and she needs to throw at 100% and promptly rides her all practice about throwing harder. DD is hard headed and doesn't do it because she is smart enough to know her limitations when she is not at 100% (learned that the hard way). I did not see it because I came back at the end of practice to gather her up, but I was pissed when she told me in the car.

What is the deal with some coaches? It is a practice, not the championship game of a tournament. I believe any kid should take it easy on an arm or leg (or any appendage) when it has been worked through another activity. Why risk injuring a kid for a practice? He gave her some song and dance about the other girls lifting, but I saw what she did in middle school and it doesn't even compare to what she is being put through right now. Her HS coach is going to make her strong that is for sure.

Am I being sensitive here?

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Nope!! When a girl tells me her arm is bothering her, she is done throwing for the day and maybe done totally for the day (that includes a game)!! If I had a DD, I wouldn't want her playing for that coach!!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD would not play for a coach that doesn't listen to the concerns of a player.

Pitcher: Coach, my arm is jacked and I don't know how hard I can throw today.
Coach: Quit whining, I want you to throw as hard as you can today.
Pitcher: Thanks for the opportunity coach, good luck this season

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I take her little brother and sister to the playground across the complex and she hustles off to practice. So she tells the coach and he tells her that it really doesn't matter and she needs to throw at 100% and promptly rides her all practice about throwing harder.

This is always a catch 22.

12-14u girls, I'd rather the parent come speak to me and let me know what's going on. Explain to me that she has just started weightlifting and is complaining of being sore and tight. That will give me a better indication of the situation and help me determine her limits for the day or even some localized stretches to loosen them up. I'd also watch her mechanics for signs of fatigue, and let her finish early.

Here is the catch, kids are always mumbling "my leg hurts" "arm is sore" "gotta cut on my foot" "too sore to run". I guess some do it for attention, maybe shave some reps off, or just generally complain. ( no different than us as adults when that alarm goes off in the morning, "I'm too tired to go to work" "let me sleep 20 more mins" ) That's why I want the parent to say something. If these kids figure out a few complaints gets them less running time, warm ups, EVERY ONE of them will start milking it.

Also, if the parent brings it up it should make the coach "feel" more accountable and realize the complain is probably legit.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD’s arm was sore for a little while this year and she did not speak up. If she did I would have expected the coach to shut her down, might be why she did not speak up.

Everyone needs to take it seriously when a player says they are sore or hurt, I need to listen to my own advice.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My son says that his arm was shot, his entire senior year. I was the one complaining that he wasn't playing. He never told me.

Feb 16, 2012
No you are not being overly sensitive. If my DD is trying out for a team or I don't completely trust the HC I will tell the coach for her. She is 12 and while I do make her talk to the coach on most things on her own there are some things that I will handle because I want to make sure it is done right. In this case I would have told the coach what the situation was.

I am coaching the HS feeder team this year and had a girl in practice on Thursday catch a ball funny and it popped the nail on her middle finger on her glove hand. I talked to the mother on Saturday and she said she couldn't put her hand in her glove but wanted to try and hit. She comes to warm up yesterday and is taking lazy swings and I asked her if she felt like she could take a full force swing. She did and couldn't handle it. She could bunt, push bunt or slug bunt so that was her role for the game. In her first at bat the pitcher threw a ball inside and hit her other hand. She laid down a great bunt and made it to first. When she came in and I saw how bruised her finger was already I took her out of the game. She didn't like it but her mother was very appreciative. I told her I appreciated her wanting to help the team but it just wasn't worth her getting hurt more....it is just ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard