Is this obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Well you lost that bet because what you said is everything that happened. I didn’t call obstruction because the batter runner had plenty of time and opportunity to simply walk around the catcher and touch home plate, she made no attempt to do so. And if they appealed, she would be out. In fact, I heard a girl on the bench for the fielding team say that the runner missed home plate, but the coach didn’t listen to her, although the coach probably didn’t know how to appeal. Both coaches were coaching their first softball game ever, both are gym teachers who got roped into coaching, and one of the coaches (both female) never played softball. After that inning I commended that girl who saw the miss and I explained to the coach how to properly appeal (among other rules).

OOOOHHHH ... but was the player saying it enough to be a proper appeal? :unsure::oops: Possibly. Consult your rule set.

I would say she most definitely could be called out on appeal. I'll try to keep this logic short:

Runner was obstructed and you awarded her home. (You didn't, but let's say you did.)

Runner is still obligated to touch home plate. Runner did not.

Runner continued to advance to the dugout. The runner cannot return to home plate.

"But Blue," you say ... "an obstruction call means she cannot be called out between 3rd and home!" She wasn't called out on a play between 3rd and home. She was called out for missing home. Obstruction is irrelevant. Out.

(Although I do admire the creativity of putting her back on third!)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207