Is this illegeal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Asking this here, because despite all the different rules, they're all pretty much the same on pitching. (I play under ISF rules if it helps)

Discussing pitching motions with our A grade pitcher on Sunday and we were talking about her swing back that she does. (when the arm goes backwards before going up to start the motion) I was asking her if it helped when my coach turned around and told me that I'd been doing it the later half of the day. No idea, but another coach confirmed this.

At a meeting tonight I was talking to a close friend, who scored the last game and she mentioned that by me doing so I would be called illegeal.

The motion I do is my glove starting at thigh height. I lift my glove and hand (together) up over my head and when I swing down my hand leaves my glove at thigh height, swings back slightly and then goes up and commences the circle. I thought this was legal but my friend says not, that I'm doing two rotations.

Opinions?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Sounds alot like this pitchers motion. Its never been called illegal that I can remember.

I am not the best one at finding the appropriate rule, but if I recall the 2 rotations means 2 complete rotations forward, not a half one back and then 1 forward.

Mar 13, 2010
Yup pretty much what that video is. I don't know if I go that far back (like I said, I only started doing it on Saturday and I have NO idea why) but once I was made aware of it and talked into throwing a pitch after the game, I was then aware of it.

I was going to do some work with it this week (it *felt* like I threw harder on Sunday afternoon, but I need to see if that's the case or it was just a good day for me) but I've had killer flu.

eta Her motion might not be illegal, but do you not need to present the ball in America? She's illegal based on that point alone, before she even starts the pitch.

Jul 26, 2010
It's legal then.

Recently in ISF (at least the men's game, I'm not sure if the women have different rules?) there was a rule change that prevents hiding the ball in the glove on the backswing (like Hillhouse). .. some say just to thwart Adam Folkard. .. but clearly Cat (and yourself) are not using this motion.

It may be that your friend is confused on this fact, and simply thinks that because you partially take your glove to your side that you are violating this rule?

PS: Cat does present the ball. She does this before she lifts her hands up over her head. Presentation is simply the bringing together of the glove hand to the throwing hand with the ball in it and maintaining that position for a second or two

-W

Jan 18, 2011
I don't know ISF rules but ASA it is perfectly legal. If I remember correctly ASA rules states that you can not pass your leg more than twice in a forward motion.

Nov 29, 2009
eta Her motion might not be illegal, but do you not need to present the ball in America? She's illegal based on that point alone, before she even starts the pitch.

There is no "present" the ball in woman's fastpitch. That is an old slow pitch myth that keeps being brought up every so often. Once your hands come together the next motion must be a pitch or a step back off of the rubber. The pitch starts once the hands have separated.

Lozza, from what you describe your motion sounds perfectly legal. If you've never been called for before you shouldn't doubt yourself.

Mar 13, 2010
Sparky Guy, you definitly need to present the ball in ISF. I've been called illegeal for walking up to the plate with the ball in my glove.

Thanks for the help guys. I only started doing it on Sunday, so hopefully this will help me going into the finals.

Jul 28, 2008
The pitch doesn't start until after the hands separate (ISF Rule 6, Sec 2a).

If you did this with your hand apart, then it's illegal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd