is this a bad infield fly call by blue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
The worst call I saw in a game went in favor of DD 3's team. Ball was in the outfield.

Nope, worst for us was a ball that was not even close to being caught so idk about "ordinary effort" but the kicker was there was only 1 runner on-- and she was at 3rd base!! They overturned the call, unfortunately, becuase we were on D.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I was wondering if this was Texas too. That wasn't a fly. could only be caught with extraordinary effort (which it was). the purpose of an IFF rule is to prevent the intentional dropping of an otherwise catchable fly in order to create a double play - which couldn't happen there.

this summer we had some horrendous umpiring at the U18 level. my wife was wondering if umpires hate our program director (who can be a complete jackass) so they shrink strike zones for our pitchers and give every close play to the other team. you had to be there.

Jul 6, 2013
Looks like a bad call. But to reiterate...IFF can be called at the fence on a 220 foot field, provided the play can be made with ordinary effort by an infielder. Now, that would have to be one high fly ball, but you get the point. :D

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Looks like a bad call. But to reiterate...IFF can be called at the fence on a 220 foot field, provided the play can be made with ordinary effort by an infielder. Now, that would have to be one high fly ball, but you get the point. :D

Brings up an interesting scenario. Say you have a shift on, and one of your infielders is essentially a fourth outfielder. Does a fly ball to that player invoke IF? What about a fly ball to the empty position?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The OP video is borderline....judgement could go either way in my opinion.

To answer Cowdogz....infielders are defined as players that play the defensive positions around first, second, or third base and shortstop. If a defensive shift has one of those players no longer playing in that area, that player can't be considered an infielder for purposes of the infield fly rule.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Earlier this week, I saw an IFF situation where a fly ball was in the air near the 3B line.

It dropped to the ground and rolled foul between Home and 3B without anyone touching it, but the umpire stuck to the IFF call.

I and many others believed this should have been called a foul ball, and the AB continued. Opinions?

Jul 3, 2013
Earlier this week, I saw an IFF situation where a fly ball was in the air near the 3B line.

It dropped to the ground and rolled foul between Home and 3B without anyone touching it, but the umpire stuck to the IFF call.

I and many others believed this should have been called a foul ball, and the AB continued. Opinions?

Correct, it is a foul ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi