Is there any situation where this would occur?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
USA ruleset I will assume, as all blue were wearing USA gear

runner with a lead off 1st.....catcher throws down

1B catches ball, with back to bag, ahead of line, awkwardly turns to right, bumps runner (with ball in glove, mind you), fails to make tag as a result

umpire calls obstruction and AWARDS THE RUNNER 2B

I don't even want to get into the validity of the obstruction call (it wasn't), but the runner never made an attempt to advance to 2B, before the throwdown or after - I'm not missing anything here, and this was simply an umpire not knowing the rule/making up his own rules, yes?

we were out of state......he clearly knew the other team well, and when our coach came out to question it, the home plate umpire waved him off, which was also odd

wild pitch 2 pitches late kind of made it a moot point, but it is still driving me crazy

im not missing anything here, correct?

May 20, 2015
Sounds maybe like a baseball ump was doing a softball game.

haha that was my exact guess......he had a relatively new USA hat and a windbreaker (that looked too big) on......no "official" shirt

disappointing that HP stayed out of it rather than try to correct it

Oct 24, 2010
haha that was my exact guess......he had a relatively new USA hat and a windbreaker (that looked too big) on......no "official" shirt

disappointing that HP stayed out of it rather than try to correct it

It's not the job of the "HP" to "correct" it, but you knew that.

May 20, 2015
It's not the job of the "HP" to "correct" it, but you knew that.

HC started to come out to question the call, HP waved him back into the dugout......so yes, he had an opportunity to allow the HC to question the call, where the umpire who made the call could have asked for help, and it could have then been corrected.......from where we sat, and from the conversation with HC at lunch, it appeared the HP knew it was not good, but waved him back into the dugout regardless......

that was what i meant, was just trying to avoid the run on sentence lol

May 29, 2015
Missed it the first time ... if F3 had the ball, there is no obstruction.

Missed it the second time ... some baseball orgs do award second base on an obstruction coming back to first. NO softball organization does.

Missed it the third time ... not allowing the coach to come out and ask ... and yer' out!

May 20, 2015
coach was calm.......

my gut feeling after playing the situation out over & over: the guy was local - the team we were playing knew him, and another local team we played saturday knew him

he was not a USA certified umpire, but he had the hat ;)

HP knew the call was wrong, it was the last inning on a friday night, my guess is he assumed it was not going to go well the the guy in the field no matter how calmly it was presented, and he was hoping it was going to be inconsequential to the outcome.....he probably assumed he had to work with this guy possibly for 2 more days, the outcome of the conversation would suck, and he hoped it didn't effect the outcome (it didn't)

it took all of the resolve i have to NOT calmly ask the field umpire what result he was working under when he left the field......but, i knew it was going to be a long weekend.....and yes, we did have him saturday, and he was fine

Aug 25, 2019
coach was calm.......

my gut feeling after playing the situation out over & over: the guy was local - the team we were playing knew him, and another local team we played saturday knew him

he was not a USA certified umpire, but he had the hat ;)

HP knew the call was wrong, it was the last inning on a friday night, my guess is he assumed it was not going to go well the the guy in the field no matter how calmly it was presented, and he was hoping it was going to be inconsequential to the outcome.....he probably assumed he had to work with this guy possibly for 2 more days, the outcome of the conversation would suck, and he hoped it didn't effect the outcome (it didn't)

it took all of the resolve i have to NOT calmly ask the field umpire what result he was working under when he left the field......but, i knew it was going to be a long weekend.....and yes, we did have him saturday, and he was fine
To add to this a bit, a question for my fellow umpires….what do you do if you know your partner make a call that was against the rules, like this play. Do you go and talk to him, or do you just leave it since you do not want to start arguing with the other umpire?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad