Who's call is this? Tagging up...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD's team was recently playing in the D3 conference championships when this play happened. A friend and I were watching as our daughter's were playing against each other. We have coached together for 4 years, and tend to talk a lot about various situations. This play occurred and confused both of us.

Situation: Runner on second with one out. Batter hits a shallow pop up that is caught by a diving right fielder. Runner on second tags and advances to third. Pretty routine... Here is where we were confused. Since it was conference playoffs, they were using a 3 man umpire crew. In this situation one was behind the plate, one was between 2nd and 3rd base, and one was behind first base. When the ball was in the air, the umpire near first base had his back turned to the infield and was watching the fielder dive for the ball, presumably to ensure that the catch was made. It was. No argument there. After the runner advanced to 3rd, the opposing team challenged that the runner had left 2nd base early. The call was challenged to and answered by the umpire behind first base. He confirmed that there was no foul and the runner advanced successfully. How is it possible for this umpire to make the call? His back was turned to the infield. The diving catch was made very close to the foul line in right field. There is no way he can watch the catch AND confirm that the runner did not leave early at the same time. At least I don't see how. And under those circumstances, what is the 3rd umpire's role in the play (the one standing between 2nd and 3rd). It would have made more sense to us that the umpire near first is watching the catch while the umpire between 2nd and 3rd is confirming that the runner leaves at the proper time.

By the way, we both feel that the correct call was made. Just thought it should have been made by a different umpire.

Jun 22, 2008
Wait what? With a runner on 2nd, 3 man mechanics should be what is called counter rotated, U1 would be between 2nd and 3rd and U3 would be on the third base line. You always try to keep an umpire a base ahead of the lead runner.

Fly ball coverage changed depending on umpire positioning in 3 man. This play should have been counter rotated as I just described. U3 has left field to the left fence line, U1 has left field to right field and the Plate umpire has right field to the fence. If U1 went out on the catch, then he should have stayed out his responsibilities are over for the play other than he should turn around after the catch and watch just to be an extra set of eyes. No, the tag up is no longer his and umpire mechanics revert to 2 man.

Sep 29, 2014
Well guess the youtube isn't very helpful then watched two videos one from Texas another California and both said U1 position is between 1st and 2nd on the inside. Both did say that the umpire should not go out, but I did see another video that said if the Umpire does go out they are to stay out and it reverts back to two man mechanics. @Comp I am confused though wouldn't U3 be the umpire ahead of the lead runner in this scenario?

Attachments

• ump.PNG
    ump.PNG
    47.8 KB · Views: 10
  • ump2.PNG
    ump2.PNG
    55.3 KB · Views: 10
Jun 22, 2008
I did say U3 should be on the 3rd baseline, that would be ahead of the runner at 2nd. And the diagram you pulled up is for baseball, that's why it says the umpire should be inside the baseline.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wait what? With a runner on 2nd, 3 man mechanics should be what is called counter rotated, U1 would be between 2nd and 3rd and U3 would be on the third base line. You always try to keep an umpire a base ahead of the lead runner.

Fly ball coverage changed depending on umpire positioning in 3 man. This play should have been counter rotated as I just described. U3 has left field to the left fence line, U1 has left field to right field and the Plate umpire has right field to the fence. If U1 went out on the catch, then he should have stayed out his responsibilities are over for the play other than he should turn around after the catch and watch just to be an extra set of eyes. No, the tag up is no longer his and umpire mechanics revert to 2 man.

Then they were set up wrong to begin with. Interesting.... I took for granted that the umpires would know where to set up. If an umpire sets up in the wrong position, wouldn't the crew chief move him to the proper position?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck