Is the side of the nail of the middle finger suppose to hurt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2008
Is the side of the nail of the middle finger that is next to the index finger suppose to bruise or bleed or something when pitching fastball? Mine would bleed or some "spot of blood" after repeated pitching, the "line of nail growth" on that side is also more curved up because it's kind of detached there.

When I hold the ball that part does not touch the ball at all, but I guess when I release I have pronated too much and so the ball is rolling off that part. Do I need to consciously keep my palm facing the 3B then the catcher then the sky?

Attached is an image I took from web with a yellow circle indicating where I am talking about.

Attachments

• finger.jpg
    finger.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 22
Jul 21, 2008
We keep super glue in my daughter bag and when she starts to get blisters or finger get sore we apply glue generously and let dry. It will get hard and protect the sore area.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not a pitching coach just a dad of a DD pitcher.She keeps her nails very short.Nervously biting them I guess.Maybe your nail sticking out on the side is some how catching/nicking the ball on release.Just a thought.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No, it should not hurt to pitch. I am guessing that is where you are applying your pressure on every pitch. I show the girls that the ball comes off the pad of my middle finger.

And no, it is not legal to apply anything to the pitching hand, but who is going to see super glue? I have never done that because I teach the release as I have explained. But, I have read where it can be applied to cuts, etc.

A manicurist can become your best friend, if you can find a good one. And back when I wore acrylic nails, they saved my nail bed several times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01