Is replanting or skipping now legal in my part of the world?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BLB

May 19, 2008
Is replanting now legal as long as the pivot foot stays in contact with the ground?
According to our rule book as of 2015:

Rule 1. DEFINITIONS
Sec. 18 CROW HOP
The act of the pitcher stepping or leaping off the pitching rubber and then pushing off again from a second starting point.
Sec. 56 LEAPING
The act of a pitcher which causes him to be airborne on his initial move and push from the pitcher's plate.
The momentum built by the forward movement of the pitcher causes the entire body, including both the pivot and stepping (non-pivot) foot to be in the air at the same time and moving towards home plate as the delivery is completed.
1) (Male U18, Male U21 and Male senior categories only) - The pitch is completed when the pitcher lands and with continuous motion delivers the ball to the plate. The pivot foot may push off and/or follow with this continuous action. Leaping is a legal act.
2) For all female categories and male categories up to and including U16, leaping is an illegal act.
Rule 6. PITCHING REGULATIONS
Sec. 3
j. Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher's plate before the stepping (non-
pivot) foot has left the plate is considered a "crow hop" and is illegal.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
First - throw the leap out of here as it is black and white. Should be no argument.

So to the crow-hop case:
Reading this set of words I would say that:
- A crow hop does not need to include a leap (a strong contention of many here in DFP and around the country)
- The critical description of crow hop here is the phrase "Pushing Off". In my world of physics if a push foot stops in motion, relative to the ground, while in contact with the ground, this IS a "push off" and therefore ILLEGAL. (there is just no way that a foot can stop motion in reference to the ground and not impart some level of "push")

So if this set of words is truly the current rule-set around crow-hopping (which I am never clear on) then I can finally have the rule-set basis to write that letter I have been threatening to do recently. (where in my world I DO have delusions of grandeur and it will fix this stupid IP issue once and for all!!!!!)

Mar 26, 2013
So if this set of words is truly the current rule-set around crow-hopping (which I am never clear on) then I can finally have the rule-set basis to write that letter I have been threatening to do recently. (where in my world I DO have delusions of grandeur and it will fix this stupid IP issue once and for all!!!!!)
Those excerpts appear to be from Softball Canada's Official Rule Book...

I find it odd you are so adamant about pitchers breaking the rules, yet don't have the actual rules... Where do you want to start - ASA, ISF, LL, NCAA, NFHS, NSA, PONY, USSSA or some other alphabet? Current versions of many are available online and most for free - ASA($), NCAA, NSA, PONY and USSSA.

Dec 7, 2011
Those excerpts appear to be from Softball Canada's Official Rule Book...

I find it odd you are so adamant about pitchers breaking the rules, yet don't have the actual rules... Where do you want to start - ASA, ISF, LL, NCAA, NFHS, NSA, PONY, USSSA or some other alphabet? Current versions of many are available online and most for free - ASA($), NCAA, NSA, PONY and USSSA.

I know - it's killin me :-0

I am just a simple purist at heart - I want to abolish all unfairness in the world,....one IP at a time.....

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
- The critical description of crow hop here is the phrase "Pushing Off". In my world of physics if a push foot stops in motion, relative to the ground, while in contact with the ground, this IS a "push off" and therefore ILLEGAL. (there is just no way that a foot can stop motion in reference to the ground and not impart some level of "push")

I completely agree.

Ho Man, could you imagine if umps called IP's every time they saw that push foot pause?
Would really change the makeup of this year's WCWS!

Mar 26, 2013
ASA may has well delete the crow hop from their book since the rules clarification says it's impossible to push, drag, push. Since leaping is illegal, it's already covered.
Not really - the ASA clarification was regarding a mid-stride replant. The rule still comes into play when the pivot foot moves off the plate before the stride.

Dec 7, 2011
This seems so much like the IRS - It's so complicated that nobody really understands it - but is assured to be applied inconsistently - and can bite you on random moments

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
My mistake. Rules supplement says: A CROW HOP is defined as a replant of the pivot foot prior to delivering the pitch. This can be done by (1) sliding the foot in
front, but not in contact with, the pitcher’s plate; (2) lifting the pivot foot and stepping forward; or (3) jumping forward from the pitcher’s plate with the pivot foot prior to starting the pitch. Umpires should look at the location of the pivot foot when the hands separate, the start of the pitch. If the pivot foot is off and in front of the pitcher’s plate before the hands separate, this would be a crow hop and an illegal pitch should be called.

So (1) is already covered in 6(FP).3.J, which says you have to push off the pitchers plate.

(2) and (3) is already covered in 6(FP).3.I which requires you to drag your pivot foot.

The rules clarification says that it is not possible to push, drag, push; it is possible to push, leap, push. Since there is a leap, it's covered in 6(FP).3.J and that occurs before any replant and a crow hop is an unnecessary, and redundant, call.

So as I have been saying for years, make the rules like the boys and let's move on with the game.

Dec 7, 2011
The rules clarification says that it is not possible to push, drag, push

Oh ya!..... - this was the sentence that made blood shoot out of my eyes,..... as to the magnitude of either this authors ineptitude, or ignorance, or both, of this real world sequence.

If the sentence would state "If a pitcher does a push-drag-push then that is legal then at least the sentence, would be intelligible (regardless of the displayed ignorance to the unfairness of the re-push)

But that sentence, stated as-is, is crap!

Darn it - back to my meds this week again......

;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA