Is my DD considered fast...…for her age?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 17, 2021
For the past year or so, I have been receiving comments/complements from opposing parents, coaches, and umpires that my DD is fast around the basses and very difficult to get out. At first, I thought they were just being nice considering she isn't a power hitter and is quite small (4'-6") compared to her 12U Travel team and the teams we face. However, after she tried out and made her Varsity Softball team in January as a 11 year old (6th-12th Private school); I am hearing the same comments from the high school coaches as well.

In my curiosity, I wanted to time her to see how "fast" she is because I never really took notice until recently. I pulled up all her video recorded games from September 2023 through March 2024 and clipped every time she ran to 1st or attempted to steal a base. I then synced a stop watch to the clip and took the average time after 4 to 5 attempts and recorded the time. I finally compiled all times into the spreadsheet below.

1711723097913.png
To give some clarity on the table:

1. She is a Lefty Batter
2. Home to 1st - I recorded from her first step after contact with the ball to when she steps onto 1st.
3. 1st to 2nd/2nd to 3rd/3rd to Home - recorded as soon as she left the base to touching the next base.
4. Red Text = Called out, Black Text = Called Safe

I searched online and tried to compare these times but have been getting mixed results. Before I start drinking the Kool-Aid, I wanted a second opinion to see if you think these are fast times for an 11 year old.

Thanks

Aug 5, 2022
As a committed senior my righty runs a 2.6 flat home to first hand timed by her high school couch and a 2.7 on deck laser timed dash. The way you time matters so comparisons are hard. Some kids will get slower as they go through puberty some will stay fast and get faster. Being hard to get out is a good thing. Timing makes a difference off the bases so she’s probably also a very good base runner. There is a PGF leaderboard you can look up that goes by age and I think they even have a 12u one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 17, 2021
It is easier to compare if you just have her run a straight 20 yard dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was my first attempt but she is very timid and shy with being evaluated....she wasn't cooperating with me to get the timing right. She's much more focused in game scenarios so this was my next option

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00