Is it time to cut the drama Queen?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Here is the setup:

In the fall, me and two other coaches are putting together a 14u travel team. This will be the first time a travel team has been organized in our county. We don't expect to compete beyond the B level, but we are doing this so that the girls we've been coaching for the past 5 years have the opportunity to go beyond what they've experienced so far in their lives. For the most part, we are a bunch of poor rural kids that don't have a lot of opportunity within the county (softball or otherwise).

This spring we are holding our normal softball leagues. Several of the girls who we are looking at for the travel team know what we are doing and know that right now, they are on an extended try-out. Formal tryouts will be in early August where we will open it up to any girl in the county, but since we are such a low populated area, we pretty much know who will come for tryouts and what the talent level is.

This brings us to our drama queen. This girl has some of the best natural talent in the area. In many ways, she is a stereotype...comes from a broken home, mom works nights to support her and her brother, no father figure, doesn't do great in school but loves to play sports, has some attitude issues, etc. etc. Me and one of the other coaches have tried time after time to be either the "big brother" or "crazy uncle" to her and get her to take her passion for softball and turn it into something that she can use as a positive in her live. Every year we think we are getting through to her and then she always does something to really set the process back.

This time it was behavior in and after a scrimmage. After pitching 3 outstanding games last week over two days where she surprised everyone with her endurance and tenacity (I asked her a couple times if she needed to come out and she kept saying "no, leave me in...I can do it") she comes to a game and after 1 inning calls me to the mound and says she is too hot and needs to come out. I pull her and put in our 4th string pitcher (the rest were absent or injured). Drama Queen, within 2 minutes is with her 'best friend' running to the parking lot to "get some water". I tell best friend that the dugout area is for players only and that she had to go sit in the bleachers. Lo-and-behold, next inning Drama is ready to go back in. She finishes the game...doesn't do great, but did her job.

So after the game, she is supposed to hitch a ride with assistant coach home since Mom is at work. She borrows assistant coach's phone, talks to grandma and then tells assistant coach that grandma is coming to get her, she doesn't need a ride home. Assistant coach goes home. I stick around at the fields and talk to the dad of one of the players I coached last year. We talk for about 45 minutes when I see Drama and best friend walking across the park. I have to say that at the time I didn't think anything of it (in my defense I just had a tooth pulled and was on pain meds), but when I got home I thought, "hey...wasn't she supposed to have been picked up by grandma?"

I talk to her mom and find out that Drama evidently told grandma "none of the coaches could take her home" (she lives 2 miles from me and is on my direct way home), and that she deceived assistant coach in order to spend time with best friend and a boy who was also at the fields. Mom wasn't mad at us, but I could understand if she was because neither of us actually spoke to an adult to find out the pickup situation...we just trusted the girl.

Assistant coach says he is pretty much done with her; that he doesn't really want to be on a team that involves her in the future because of the drama/lies/deception. I hate the idea of the girl losing one of the few positive influences in her life, but understand his point and agree that regardless of her skill (and while she is good, she isn't so good that she is irreplaceable) a team with no drama is better than one that has to put up with a drama queen.

I guess I'm mostly venting here. If others have run across similar situations, I'd like to hear your story, but I pretty much know what is going to end up happening here.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
What do you think will happen to her if she has no more softball?

"Friend to "go get some water" then ready to go...sounds like pill poppin possibility.

If she does stay, I would have strict rules, no leaving dugout, stay with coach until guardian picks up...

No right or wrong answer, and unfortunately her situation describes a majority of young people today in rural areas.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She is testing you. "Do they really like me?" "Am I really good enough?"

Actually, this isn't the drama that I was expecting. She "might" be a bit immature, but she needs travel ball.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would never advocate "giving up" on a player, but you need to set expectations up front and let her know that if the expectations are not met there will be consequences, including possible dismissal from the team. You need to have the "expectations" conversation with the player AND her mother. A "player contract" is also a good idea.

well sounds like you have a 14 year old kid on your team. Again you are only giving us one story in what sounds like a long drawn out relationship, guessing this is not the worst of it, just the last straw.

One big take away NEVER leave kids to get home by themselves unless you are 100% sure they have a ride and another adult will be there with that kid who knows they are responsible for them. In a case where you are their ride home NEVER let them go home with anyone else (barring an emergency) unless you have talked to that parent. Basically it is just like Amy said she wants to know your limits. Ask yourself when arranging going to a friends house for your kid do you always make sure you talk to the other parent even if it is only 30 seconds of "when, where, with who and pick up time" I sure hope you do.

Guess we would have to know more and we probably don't need the whole laundry list, if you want to you could explain to her and her mom that she can be on the team but she has to follow the rules or she will be asked to leave, without more information I would be inclined to give her a chance. I have always found that positive peer pressure works and this would be a positive experience for her.

edit: did not read JAD post prior to posting sounds like we are of the same mindset, it would take something more drastic to give up on a kid but I understand you see a troubling pattern the hope is somehow she breaks this pattern.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Ya....this story doesn't encapsulate her whole background. There has too many things to mention over the years starting when she was 8 years old, came over and took $100 out of a drawer I was putting Christmas money into. Mom marched her back to my house at 10:30 at night and had her apologize and return the missing $$$.

She just makes it so hard to stay on her side. She has been given more slack than anyone else on the team, and maybe that is part of the problem, but when anyone comes down on her she completely shuts down. Gunna have the "talk" at next practice. Make sure that she understands that she is trying out for travel ball right now and that her slot is there for her to lose.

Jan 20, 2010
OMG a 14 year old girl told a lie????? Say it isn't so.....Hot and needs a break yeah thats drama.....maybe say thanks to her BFF for getting water.....Pill popping really????? BFF at the ball park with a boy holy cow the sky is turning grey and lightening is about to strike. Broken home is an offensive term. Single parent might be more appropriate.

I agree with Amy. She is testing you as coaches, just as she is with her mom, grandmother and who ever else is in her life. Set your rules, no friends in the dugout and such.

The only real issue here is that the girl said she was getting a ride from the grandparent. She didn't you called the mom to inform her that she left the park without an adult. Mom needs to deal with her lie in the home. You need to deal with her lie to a coach.

Don't make a mountain over a small ant hill. Address her lie, not her drama as that is what took place in this situation. If drama comes up address that. If the girl can play she can play. Judge her on her ability and her being a good teammate, not subjective opinions. Just my 02.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
"Lo-and-behold, next inning Drama is ready to go back in. She finishes the game...doesn't do great, but did her job."

In my world, if you ask to come out of a game, you're NOT going back into the same game. Might play again later, but not that game.

"we just trusted the girl."

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that was mistake #2

My only other advice is, talk to her. Lay out the rules and boundaries and be very forthcoming with what the consequences are, including dismissal from the team. Be ready to follow through when she breaks the rules, and she will.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I think that starting the TB team wtih everyone trying out will be a very good place to start the ground rules as well as NO TOLERANCE rules...spell it out for them and their parents one by one...have her sign (and her mother). If she violates...FOLLOW THROUGH with same punishment that would be delivered to anyone else.

Good luck...I have a feeling that boundaries will help.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Ya....this story doesn't encapsulate her whole background. There has too many things to mention over the years starting when she was 8 years old, came over and took $100 out of a drawer I was putting Christmas money into. Mom marched her back to my house at 10:30 at night and had her apologize and return the missing $$$.

She just makes it so hard to stay on her side. She has been given more slack than anyone else on the team, and maybe that is part of the problem, but when anyone comes down on her she completely shuts down. Gunna have the "talk" at next practice. Make sure that she understands that she is trying out for travel ball right now and that her slot is there for her to lose.

Presenting it as a spot she can earn might be more productive and give her a goal to work toward and achieve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01