Is it about bragging?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Top businesses hire many more non-athletes, because many of them demonstrate real world experience with time management and budgeting.

Top businesses hire many more non-athletes because they are many more non athletes.

Budgeting wise - unless you are in finance - a new college graduate has little relevant work experience that would influence hiring and frankly college athletes have excellent time management skills - and at least on par with the person who has a resume which shows they are capable of maintaining a job while attending college.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
LOL, I'm shaking my head at the conclusions you've drawn. I know a current D1 All-American and how hard she works, so there's no "ignorance" in my statement. I'm just saying being a D1 athlete is a different sort of pressure than juggling a job while in school to earn enough money to not get evicted on a month-to-month basis. Top businesses hire many more non-athletes, because many of them demonstrate real world experience with time management and budgeting.

Thank you Captain Obvious! Maybe it is because athletes only comprise maybe 1% of all students? That ranks right up there with "There is no career playing softball."

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
LOL, I'm shaking my head at the conclusions you've drawn. I know a current D1 All-American and how hard she works, so there's no "ignorance" in my statement. I'm just saying being a D1 athlete is a different sort of pressure than juggling a job while in school to earn enough money to not get evicted on a month-to-month basis. Top businesses hire many more non-athletes, because many of them demonstrate real world experience with time management and budgeting.

I know my kid doesn't count in this thread since she was only a D-II player but this statement give me pause. Are you saying that what a college athlete does is not "real world?" Are you saying that employers look at someone who has achieved high levels of success in athletics as being looked at as inferior to prospective employers? Nothing is more "real world" than a college athlete who has achieved a high level of success on the field and the classroom.

Feb 3, 2011
NETWORK recommendations
your network matters more and more.
NETWORK matters a lot
the last three jobs I have held have all come through my network getting me the opportunity of an interview

Playing college sports or getting a graduate degree is still looked on very favorably and again can lead to getting a call or an interview - again the opportunity, not the job.

That's a perfect summation. Thanks for that, Marriard!

Sep 28, 2015
I know my kid doesn't count in this thread since she was only a D-II player but this statement give me pause.

What do you mean that your child was only a D-II player ? D-II players have just as busy schedules in school. I think no matter what level of ball you play in college - DIII thru DI shows a level of commitment that most non athletes don't have to make

I agree networking is very important. It can definitely get your foot in the door but you have to still ace the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I know my kid doesn't count in this thread since she was only a D-II player but this statement give me pause.

What do you mean that your child was only a D-II player ? D-II players have just as busy schedules in school. I think no matter what level of ball you play in college - DIII thru DI shows a level of commitment that most non athletes don't have to make

I agree networking is very important. It can definitely get your foot in the door but you have to still ace the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a post that I had to delete which was a little more than ungracious trying to make that point. I deleted it because I ended up looking like an idiot. So, after seeing all of the emphasis on D-I, I decided to let the thread go. This morning I had a weak moment and so made the post.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Top businesses hire many more non-athletes, because many of them demonstrate real world experience with time management and budgeting.

This statement is genius. I can't imagine why more non-athletes get hired than athletes. :rolleyes:

Once again, I reiterate that people who have their "schedules set for them" are certainly not at a disadvantage compared to those who have to juggle a job while they are in college. The military rigidly sets the schedule of every single soldier in its ranks from the time they get up to the time they go to sleep. By your argument, someone with military training is less attractive to the job market than a student that works their way through college. Discipline and motivation come from many sources.