Is a catcher that important?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Pitching Coach to Pitcher "Do you thank your catcher after games?"
Pitcher "No."
Pitching Coach "You do now."

This sounds like me to my DD who pitches and has had a very good 12U year. Alot of her success HAS to be given to her catcher who
really understands pitching and counts and what the hitter standing there beside her did her last at bat. I always go out of my way to
thank our catcher after each game.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
When a good catcher is doing her job, you will hardly notice she's there. However when a bad catcher is behind the plate, she stands out like a sore thumb.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When a good catcher is doing her job, you will hardly notice she's there. However when a bad catcher is behind the plate, she stands out like a sore thumb.

When I see a good catcher, I can't take my eyes off her. When I see a bad catcher, I have a hard time watching.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In my opinion, a great catcher makes a great pitcher look that much better. But sadly, the catchers don't seem to get the accolades or attention that the pitchers do.

But that is just the opinion of the Mom of an amazing catcher!!!! :D

I would also add that a great catcher can make a bad pitcher look better, but a bad pitcher ain't ever going to look great just by getting a great catcher. Okay, that was talking in circles.

Of course, a great catcher is vital to the team.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I would also add that a great catcher can make a bad pitcher look better, but a bad pitcher ain't ever going to look great just by getting a great catcher. Okay, that was talking in circles.

Of course, a great catcher is vital to the team.
I hope that my DD can help your pitcher when she plays for you in a few weeks!!! :cool:

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I would also add that a great catcher can make a bad pitcher look better, but a bad pitcher ain't ever going to look great just by getting a great catcher.....

You're right, ant we do tend to get carried away, but I have seen DD steward sub-mediocre pitchers through a few innings in times of need and significantly minimize the damage. It ain't magic, but at times it does resemble voodoo to the uninitiated.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
When I see a good catcher, I can't take my eyes off her. When I see a bad catcher, I have a hard time watching.

That's the difference in those who understand and appreciate what quality means behind the plate. I love watching a skilled catcher work. I have watched entire games and not be able to tell you what happened in the field but can just about tell you every move the catcher made.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
That's the difference in those who understand and appreciate what quality means behind the plate. I love watching a skilled catcher work. I have watched entire games and not be able to tell you what happened in the field but can just about tell you every move the catcher made.
Me too!!! Of course my DD is the one behind the plate that I am watching!!! LOL!!!

Jan 22, 2011
Just had my first 10u fall ball game moving up from 8u.... catchers are VERY important. Took my daughter to the NECC this July even though at this point she more likely to pitch than catch, so she would appreciate her catchers. She said every day at the camp catching is hard work!