Interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Don't take this the wrong way, seeing as I don't know you...

Are you talking about rec league ball, or travel ball? If it's rec league, then yeah, you're going to find a grab bag of umpires - some know the rules, but many don't. Travel ball should have better umpires, but I've seen plenty of travel ball umpires who could use a rectal craniectomy.

I've been involved with high-level travel ball since my DD was 12, the last 15 without a DD on the team. What I see from a majority of the umpires out there in my area is they will not call obstruction without some type of contact. It's the way it is around here. That's why I coach my players to bump into the defender who is in the way, not level them.

As for protests. The TD's will put in the rules "No Protests." the umpire's decision on the field is final in order to keep the tournaments on time. And I've heard "She didn't make contact." way too often so I coach my teams to try and get the call with a slight bump.

There are many very good umpires out there. Unfortunately, there are not enough of them to go around. So we adapt.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Just for the record...

My season is young. I have worked four high school games so far this year. And I have called obstruction- with NO contact- three times! :cool:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I've been involved with high-level travel ball since my DD was 12, the last 15 without a DD on the team. What I see from a majority of the umpires out there in my area is they will not call obstruction without some type of contact. It's the way it is around here.

Then you need umpires that are willing to do the job for which they are paid. The OFKAA has gone so far as to insert the following sentence in the definition of obstruction: "NOTE: Contact is not necessary to impede the progress of the batter-runner or the runner." NCAA has similar wording.

That's why I coach my players to bump into the defender who is in the way, not level them.

Intentional contact may very likely draw a warning. A second one regardless of how soft, my draw an ejection.

As for protests. The TD's will put in the rules "No Protests." the umpire's decision on the field is final in order to keep the tournaments on time. And I've heard "She didn't make contact." way too often so I coach my teams to try and get the call with a slight bump.

Greedy cowards. They want your money, but will not pay for a UIC or risk upsetting a team when they don't get to taste home cooking by simply pointing at the umpire whether s/he was right or wrong.

There are many very good umpires out there. Unfortunately, there are not enough of them to go around. So we adapt.

You know, we are not talking about a batting order change involving the DP and FLEX, but one of the simplest, non-punitive rules in the book. If a person chooses to ignore this or refuse to attempt to get it right, s/he is stealing money from the teams and not worthy to be called "umpire".

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I wouldn't recommend this. If I saw this, I would warn the player at a minimum, eject if somehow she gets injured. Even a light bump can have bad consequences.

If anything, I'd recommend she call out "move, move, move!" just before reaching the fielder to draw my attention.

What? No pretty please?!

Sep 29, 2014
I think we all understand what we mean but I think it is just a matter of perspective.

Umpires out there (and I used to be one many moons ago) Just to be 100% clear and please correct me if I am wrong there is not a rule book or rule set that I am aware of that says "the runner most avoid contact with a fielder standing in the base path" again I could be wrong since it's been a while and please correct if I am wrong. In any case where there is a fielder in the base path it is the fielder that is causing the contact NOT the runner, if the fielder was not violating the rule there would be no contact!!

This idea of teaching players to brush the fielder is actually going above and beyond the rules, it is perfectly within the runners right to continue on the base path but they are being coached to NOT plow the fielder over this is actually coaching sportsmanship and erring on the side of caution not wanting to unintentionally cause injury. This should be applauded not chastised it is the opposite of teaching girls to simply run the fielder over because they have a right to the base path.

As is always the case quality umpires want to live in a world where other umpires are just like them but to those of us in the real world "THERE WAS NO CONTACT" rules the day; now to give the umpires the benefit of the doubt I think many of them realize the rule does not require contact but unless the change of path to run around the fielder is really obvious without contact their eyes are not drawn to the incident and they don't see it clearly enough to call it and one thing most umpire are good at is "if you did not see it and are sure don't make the call on what you "thought might" have happened only call what you see". and their is zero chance a runner yelling move, move is getting the umpires attention beside "what is the girl whining about play ball and stop complaining"

In the end player should not be intentionally contacting other player but they should also not be intentionally avoiding other players who are violating the rules.

Jun 23, 2016
Of course there is no rule that says that. As a matter of fact, there is no rule that defines unsportsmanlike conduct anywhere. That doesn't give the runner the right to even brush the fielder.

Yes, the fielder is in the base path of the runner when she shouldn't be. The runner should still avoid contact whenever possible. Period. Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

Sep 29, 2014
Of course there is no rule that says that. As a matter of fact, there is no rule that defines unsportsmanlike conduct anywhere. That doesn't give the runner the right to even brush the fielder.

Yes, the fielder is in the base path of the runner when she shouldn't be. The runner should still avoid contact whenever possible. Period. Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

Because that's your opinion...you just said it was not a rule...you are making up your own rules that I hope you are not enforcing it on the field.

The runner does not get to elbow the fielder, lower her shoulder or in any other way attempt to intentionally harm the other play on that I think we can all agree; but brushing the player and actually AVOIDING harmfully contact should probably be applauded and not look down on.

Maybe I'm just taking this too far and we just have a different definition of what "whenever possible" means. If the ball is in play and there is a possible play on you as the runner it's "not possible" you are too busy running the base path and trying to get to the base. If you have rounded third and are trotting home while the outfielder is just getting to the ball at the fence and the catcher is standing in the base path two steps in front of the plate sure go ahead and walk around her.

Jun 23, 2016
Like I said earlier, you and I are probably talking about the same thing, just in different ways. Yes, if the ball's a mile away, go around here. Yes, if you're going to the base, contact might sometimes occur. Avoid contact as much as possible. That's what I have been saying all along.

And no, I don't "make up rules." I'm not that kind of umpire.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

The obstruction rule is easy to grasp. The reality is that some poor coaches don't coach their infielders well enough to understand and avoid accidentally obstructing base runners, some unscrupulous coaches coach their infielders to intentionally obstruct base runners, and some umpires don't call obstruction when they should.

Jun 23, 2016
The obstruction rule is easy to grasp. The reality is that some poor coaches don't coach their infielders well enough to understand and avoid accidentally obstructing base runners, some unscrupulous coaches coach their infielders to intentionally obstruct base runners, and some umpires don't call obstruction when they should.

Oh, absolutely. And when that happens, have a talk with the TD, Umpire Assignor, or League Director. We've gotta call it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles