Interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I will try to describe this as briefly as possible:
Playing by NFHS Rules (Middle School game) Runner on first, one out. Line drive to right field and is misplayed by the RF. She retrieves the ball, relays to the cutoff who promptly tries to get the runner out going to 3rd. She really had no chance and the throw is offline, pulling 3rd off the bag. Runner gets up from her slide and sprints toward home. Third base retrieves the ball after it hits the fence and throws home. Again the throw is a little off (to the foul side of the line) and as the catcher is trying to lineup for the throw she has to avoid THE NEXT BATTER. The on-deck batter had left the circle and gotten into the batter's box.
Catcher cannot get to the throw and runner scores.
I call time, and admittedly I was a bit flustered. I said something along the lines of "that has to be interference! My catcher was prevented from making the play by a player in the batters box"
PU and FU discuss it for at least a minute, as I walk back to my side of the infield. PU walks back behind the plate, finally looks at me and says "neither one of us saw it."
"How could you not see it? it happened right in front of you?" I yelled back.
After the inning, they conference again. I walk in the middle and ask "how can she even be in the box when the previous play is still going on?"
PU gives me a blank look for a moment, then his eyes widen a little. "She was the player on deck. How can she be in the box when the ball isn't even dead yet? The play happened on a hit, not a steal"
FU ump jumps in and says "well we have to give the on deck batter the chance to pick up the bat or tell them to slide..."
"I can see that, but she was doing neither. That has to be interference." I said.
PU later said that he "probably" blew the call.....
I don't have my official rule book with me tonight. Give me your take, advice, tell me I'm crazy whatever.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If the ODB presence prevented the catcher from making a play, it is INT and the runner closest to home is ruled out.

Though the ODB is permitted to leave the ODC to direct the runner or avoid interfering with a play. Most umpires don't get upset if they move to clear a bat, but there is no exemption from an INT call if the ODB does indeed interfere with the play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad