Interference, who's out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
I was at the plate for a middle school game and this happened (only in middle school)....Runner on third, righty batter up in box, pitch gets by catcher and runner on third coming home, and the batter never moves. So I called interference on the batter, called her out, and sent runner back to third. I thought I had it right, but I just talked to an umpire friend of mine, and he said the runner should be out and a ball on the batter, but he wasn't quite sure, who is right?

Aug 25, 2019
Well, I guess it's how you see interference. She didn't interfere with the throw from the the catcher to the pitcher, (the ball got behind us, I moved to the right), but she was in the way of a throw that could of been more to the left side of the plate, anyway, I felt her just standing there was enough for interference.

Oct 24, 2010
If you have interference, someone is out. Who should be out depends on the code.
Pretty sure baseball umpires would say the runner is out.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
Dammit, now you made me have to look it up....... :unsure:

USA RULES Rule 7-Batting U. When Interfering with a play at home plate:

Effect-Section 6P-S

1-The ball is dead
2-The batter is out
3-Each runner must return to the last base touched at the time of interference.

So I guess I was right all along.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Since this was middle school I am assuming NFHS:

If the runner is stealing home (in this case yes) and there are less than 2 out (not stated but assuming since you didn't say it ended the inning) the RUNNER is out on the batter's interference. Pitch is whatever it was (ball or strike) and all other runners return. If there are 2 out then the batter is out and the next batter leads off the next inning.

Otherwise (runner not stealing home) yes the B is out and all runners return

EDIT:

DOH Ok I am conflating baseball and softball, just checked (which I should have done before):

NFHS 7.4.4 The batter is out when interferes with the catcher....by failing to make a reasonable effort to vacate a congested area when there is a throw to home and there is time for the batter to move away.

PENALTY: The ball is dead immediately (the pitch still counts however as it already took place). Runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

The rule also cites 8.6.10 which talks about a possible double play, it would apply in this case if the pitch had been strike 3 and not a D3K. In that case, the runner could be ruled out as the second out.

FURTHER EDIT:

Digging into this a bit more, if the pitch was a strike 3 and WAS a D3K, then rule 8.2.8 applies:

The Batter-runner is out when (she) interferes with a play at home plate in an attempt to prevent an obvious out at the plate.

PENATLY: The ball is dead the runner is also out.

Just clarifies that whether D3K applies to the BR or not, since the B is already out you call the runner out for the interference.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019
Dammit, now you made me have to look it up....... :unsure:

USA RULES Rule 7-Batting U. When Interfering with a play at home plate:

Effect-Section 6P-S

1-The ball is dead
2-The batter is out
3-Each runner must return to the last base touched at the time of interference.

So I guess I was right all along.

I had something similar happen in a game on Sunday. Ball gets past the catcher, right-handed batter doesn't leave the box, catcher retrieves ball and tries to tag incoming runner from 3B.

Umpire initially called the batter and said the run scored. The other coaches started chirping, then he reversed his call and called the base runner out and allowed the batter to continue the at-bat. Batter then walked, stole 2B, 3B and scored on a past ball...all in all it was a wash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00